how do i make this vtec?????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brettfessler

i got this 1990 civic today and it has a ls motor in it..how do i get this vtec??? i am mechanicaly inclined and electricly inclined. i just dont know how to identify what i need....dont beat on the noob

pics and yeah no rust oem paint....

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 184
  • lsmotor.jpg
    lsmotor.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 203
Make an ls/vtec out of it with a B16/B18 head.. preferably an obd-0 head so you could swap the head, plug in the ECU, run the VTEC wires, and call it a day.

Actually I spoke too soon.. that could be an OBD1 motor. What ECU do you have in that car?

ok so an obd0 head would be.....c1? y8?

Your confusing D series(D16Y8) and B series (B18C1)

Read up on the Honda Engine List here on HS in the Reference Materials forum to get familiarized with Honda's engine codes.

The general rule of thumb is, for the most part, B-series engines are parts-compatible with B-series engines. Likewise for D-series. (This is referring to things like Headers, Intake manifolds, transmissions, cams, etc.)

If your considering building an LS/VTEC, read this thread in the General Tech Articles section on this site.

Please use the information already provided here on HondaSwap to aid you in your reference and decision making. Theres an enormous bank of useful and helpful information already here waiting for ya. :)

-Andrew

An LS vtec will give you plenty of power but it might be easier to just swap to a b16 or b18 with vtec

Read up on the Honda Engine List here on HS in the Reference Materials forum to get familiarized with Honda's engine codes.

The general rule of thumb is, for the most part, B-series engines are parts-compatible with B-series engines. Likewise for D-series. (This is referring to things like Headers, Intake manifolds, transmissions, cams, etc.)

If your considering building an LS/VTEC, read this thread in the General Tech Articles section on this site.

Please use the information already provided here on HondaSwap to aid you in your reference and decision making. Theres an enormous bank of useful and helpful information already here waiting for ya. :)

-Andrew

Awesome reply andrew :) +rep

You have to tap the block for ls/vtec then run a vtec ecu...like pr3 if obd0...
then wires up vtec... somthing like that.

oahh yeah its obd1 how/ what should i tune this with???? can i just get a vfac controller or do i have to get an ecu or what,, i have a laptop if that makes any diff..????

i dont want to spend alot of money on the tuning yet cause i am turboing this b4 the summer so something cost affective.

I'd recommend finding someone that can chip your ECU and tune with CROME.
I would recommend using a chipped/tuned P28, since they are one of the easiest ones to do. (or so I hear, i'm not a tuner. My tuner prefers them, though)

CROME is a free program, your just paying for their expertise.
Everyone has different prices.

-Andrew

Very nice reply xD

+rep to you my friend.

<<< Looking for EG getting f20c in the back ground.......LOL That hatch is super clean !!! Good luck with the LS/V-tec. Its gonna run like a Raped Ape!! You have your work cut out for you......Vtec head on LS motor, wiring for vtec, fabbing a drive shaft for the F20 swap.:p

Chill out... I'm just pickin' at you. If you cant take it you are DEFINITLY posting in the wrong forums. You will get flammed on here so fast, by the time you realized someone dissed you, you'll be wondering what happened to your clothes.:p

There was some sencerity in that post. Lets try this again;

That hatch is super clean..... w/ LS vtec its gonna run like a raped ape.
I used to have a silver DX like that, "county bumpers" and all. I miss that lil' basterd:mellow:
{ slowly setting up to run before I get punched}
Anyway enjoy the hatch, it will run alot better than the F20c EG HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

If you're going turbo, I say forget VTEC and just get some big ass cams. The only benefit of VTEC is drivability at low RPM.

Back