how do i thin out 2 part clear coat?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ssl2k

Alright im using a economy brand PPG clear coat (omni-usa?) and it is like part numba mc161 i believe but anyways, is there some way that I can thin it out so that I get rid of the orange peel that i get when i spray it? Im going to wet sand my whole car down and do the float coat but I want to have it so that I dont need to wetsand/buff it aftwards....so it needs to be a lot thinner than what i've been spraying it...ya know?

It is just a 2 part (clear + hardner)

It seems like I can't get it to go on without it orange peeling...either it will orange peel or it will run (I had 2 runs)

anyways, so like laqure thinner, regular paint thinner, or acetone or what?

thanks

btw, im spraying at like 24-25 psi

learn how to spray better.....thats about all the advice i can give you, its not a high solids clear so you dont have a seperate reducer and hardener, where as if u did u could run a little bit more reducer and it would flow out more. So morwe or less your gonna ahve to learn to lay it out better and also get it hotter when u paintlike around 75 80 and the clear will flow out much beter

hmm

what if i were to get a slower topcoat/hardner ? would it "melt" together a bit better ?

nathan

About all you can do to reduce the viscosity of the paint is use either more reducer or a lower temperature reducer. I almost always did this when doing a float coat. Try adjusting your air pressure higher to atomize the paint better.

well there isn't any reducer with it...it is just the clear and then the hardner

well if i get a slower hardner, will the clear coat 'melt" together more ?

Originally posted by ssl2k@Sep 6 2004, 05:38 PM
well there isn't any reducer with it...it is just the clear and then the hardner

well if i get a slower hardner, will the clear coat 'melt" together more ?
[post=386697]Quoted post[/post]​

It did not come with reducer? Where did you buy it?

a local autoparts store

it is mc161 w/ mc167 (omni-usa, lower ppg brand paint)

hey im taking refinishing right now and the cause of orange peels is improper air pressure at the air cap....it also depends on what kind of gun ur using...if it is regular then it should be about 50 psi at the cap if it is hvlp then it should only be 8-10 psi at the cap...it sounds like u just don't have the right pressure..like somebodyelse said, turn it all up and then adjust ur way down...

Back