how do i wire the tach in the stock cluster

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brianteel

I am trying to wire in the manual cluster after i did a conversion. does anyone have the diagrams or know how to wire it up.

Originally posted by brianteel@Oct 16 2003, 07:25 PM
I am trying to wire in the manual cluster after i did a conversion. does anyone have the diagrams or know how to wire it up.

Should be plug-and-play.

as he said, should plug right in...HOWEVER...

if your tach is not working, check the fuse for the back-up lights. That fuse pops, say good-bye to your cluster until it's fixed. Cluster is put on there to avoid shorts. But since I'm sure your reverse switch was wired, you probably shorted to ground and fried the fuse. It should be red, 7.5AMP fuse under the dash. Replace it. If it still doesn't work, you have a problem somewhere else. Also check to make sure reverse switch is not grounded to the block/trans.

-Brian

Originally posted by brianteel@Oct 17 2003, 01:25 AM

It will plug right in provided it is the same generation.

hey bro, did you convert from a automatic to a manual, if im understanding right and you did, could you tell me what things had to be changed besides the obvious things like shifter, shift linkage, did you ahve to change the computer?? was it hard to put in a clutch pedal and linkage??

well it was not hard to do. you will need the trans linkage clutch assembly shifter hydrolic lines and a few other things here and there. you will need to change the computer.

first take the trans out and put in the manual

take out the center console and shift assembly

then drop the steering column and disconnect the wires that are in the way

unbolt the pedal assembly and disonnect throttle cable

install new pedals and hydrolic line

last install the linkage

you will have to cover the hole left in the floor with a piece of sheet metal. cut a 2 1/8 hole in it to allow the shifter to come through the floor

for wiring just connect the 2 large gauge wires together and that will allow you to start the car.

email me with any questions

Back