How do u make power over 10k RPM??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vtec25

I know revving high is useless unless ur making power up there so my question is:

How do u make power above 10K RPM in a B-series????

I've heard of B16's revving to 10k but i have no idea on the specs.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Nov 23 2004, 02:45 AM
:withstupid:
at 10k igntion can become an issue
[post=420922]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

MSD is your friend at 10,000 rpms :)

why 10k? just go to 8500 and make your power there. give me your motor and i'll send you a bike.

broken rods. lol

bike ignitions and magneto setups can also be used for extreme rpm's.
most ignitions "float" at that kinda rpm.

Yeah a B16A or B16B would be a decent motor choice to do this. Honestly I would just make a motor make power at 8500-9100 rpm, as this has been proven to be safe and reliable.
But if you want to make an all out race motor, plan on spending a lot. All new valve train is needed; this includes new valves, springs, retainers, guides, seats and cams. Look into Wicked Industries cams, Rocket cams, or some crazy custom grind that will suit your setup. You will need a really good port and polish to bring in a buttload of air at those RPMs. Look into some sort of ITB or high flowing intake manifold set up. You are going to need a good fuel management system and ignition system to maintain what you are doing.
Then you will need a sleeved block, I do not care what anyone else says, honda open deck sleeves cannot take the abuse of 10,000rpms for very long. You will want a well worked over crank, that has been knife edged. Strong Rods and rod studs are key too, along with forged pistons. A light balanced bottom end is going to be key on a high reving application.
Then comes your transmission, either spend a lot of money on aftermarket gears, or go through transmissions every couple of times you race. That is just how it is.

Why would you build a motor to rev to a certain RPM? Why not decide on a power output, and then see how high you have to rev it to make that power? Saying you want to rev a motor to 10k is a stupid goal.

Get a B16 crank, throw it in an 84mm bore B18 block, match up some custom rods, run compression in the 15s and rev the piss out of it. :p

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 24 2004, 01:03 AM
Get a B16 crank, throw it in an 84mm bore B18 block, match up some custom rods, run compression in the 15s and rev the piss out of it. :p
[post=421559]Quoted post[/post]​

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a WINNER!!!!!

B18C block, B16 Crank, custom rods, 84/85mm pistons with HUGE domes (14:1 or higher C/R), aftermarket rods, balanced & blueprinted engine, flowbenched and tested head, matched and dialed cams with MAJOR DYNO TUNING, etc, etc, etc..... and you MIGHT have a useable RPM band of 7-8k.

Most, and I stress MOST cams made on the market are good up to about 8.8 or 9.2k RPM. Not much more.

The real reason most people rev higher is the psychological factor. OR, if they really know what they are doing, it is to get the RPM's to drop right back into their powerband and not below it.

or to get the absolute most out of a given gear, but usually it is just unncessary to rev quite that high. It costs alot, and it quite dangerous.

If your willing to cede your goal to about 9,000 at the most, Cal's advice is what you should be printing out for a plan.

Doesn't the b16b rev to like 9k stock? :) I know thats a destroked b18 block.

Originally posted by vtec25@Nov 23 2004, 01:24 AM
I know revving high is useless unless ur making power up there so my question is:

How do u make power above 10K RPM in a B-series????

I've heard of B16's revving to 10k but i have no idea on the specs.
[post=420869]Quoted post[/post]​

be a warrior man...go out and get an ECU with no rev limiter and rev that shit to 15,000 and watch those pistons shoot right through you hood and take a picture so we can all laughf and tell you why its not necessary to build a motor to rev past at least 9000 and thats even pushing it

Back