How do you get rid of the black ...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

webink_EK9

Any of you guys know the best way to remove all the hard black sound deadening(sp?) stuff under the floor of my hatch? Its like a hard ruber stuff. I could heat it up and scrape it I guess, but can I freeze it and chip it? Has anyone done this before?

just finiished with doing that 3 days ago! actually my buddy did the inside coating I did the entire under carrage. There are a couple of ways heat/cold. the easiest I found was 1 small and 1 karge screwdriver that you can sacrafice. sharpen both of them to somewhat of a knife like edge and go to town scrapin. clean up with a wire wheel on a drill or die grinder. thats pretyy much it. elbow grease. unless you want to get crazy and sand/media blast the bastard. sounds low budget and slow, but heat makes it a gooey and stickey mess and cold makes it hard as a rock.

matt

BTW in the end we weighed everything we pulled out. just so you know it took about 8 man hours to do the entire inside/and wheels wells=17.8 lbs of shit off of the car. almost 2 extra HP..... not too shabby

i did mine by freezing it with dry ice

just get a few blocks and lay it out on the sound deadening tar for about 20 min then chip away

someone also said they had VERY good luck with liquid nitrogen (poured it on and the shit froze up and cracked itself off) ... not too sure where / how to get that though <_<

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 4 2004, 12:19 PM
i did mine by freezing it with dry ice

just get a few blocks and lay it out on the sound deadening tar for about 20 min then chip away

someone also said they had VERY good luck with liquid nitrogen (poured it on and the shit froze up and cracked itself off) ... not too sure where / how to get that though <_<

You can get it at most chemical suppliers, DuPont around here will sell you liquid nitrogen fairly cheaply. You however need to supply your own dewer, which is a few hundred dollars.

I found a place that will sell the liquid nitrogen and rent the container. Gotta call about the price. Who used the liquid nitrogen? Can it damage the car? I know if you let it sit on there and hit it it will break the metal like glass. Let me know, cuz this sounds much better than the scraping shit.

yeah i dunno about liquid nitrogen, but when we stripped the sound deadening out of my buddies track car last year using dry ice from the chemsitry department here (villanova) and it works great- he did one side with a hair dryer and it took him the better part of the day and it didn't even look that great- we did the other side with the dry ice in like three hours max

Bringing dead threads back for the sake of adding zero value comments is a bad thing. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Thread locked to prevent further post whoring.

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back