How do you guys job hunt?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It doesn't work that way. We are in the digital age.
You code? show me a website.
You math? show me some formulas that you helped solve.
You weld? show me some metal pictures \m/
:oops:
I just heard on the radio about a girl/lady that created a website called hiremeaaaaabbbb.com
aaaabbbb was the name of the person in charge of hiring for web design at a college or something
she never emailed directly or anything, she just put it out on social media
and within 10 hours she had an interview with the woman
she didn't get that job but it landed her a different one, quite a few offers, and a lot of attention
i wish i could find the site, it was some NPR story.

lsixfigure_1222.jpg

But how does it work out for you in the end ? Have you tracked your statistics ?

Could the money spent since your last job and now been better invested in starting your own company ?

Speaking of statistics, I'm going through this now with some "Colleagues". These are people who are above flipping burgers because it pays so little. So they struggle for a month or so to find something that pays like $4 an hour more. Lets do some math:

typical restaurant work: 32 hours a week.
Typical non-waitstaff pay: $8/hr
One month goes by : = $1024.

Get job for $12 an hour. 50% more. Will work for 6 weeks just to catch up with where they could have been if they had just gotten the stupid job and continued to interview / look for work.

If you can repair spyware infections on computers, in your own damned home, you can charge $80 per computer - And do two a day. That's all you need. 2 a day and you're $4000 ish per month. I have a stack of 12 machines at my bench at any given time, and I run malwarebytes and walk away.

I have actually been approached by family willing to back me in my own venture. I'm looking into it thoroughly before I make any real choices.

As far as money is concerned, I do alright for someone living with his parents. I pay my bills and even save some. It's not like I have a slowly dwindling savings account. Quite the opposite. But I don't want to stay in my parents house forever, so I need something better.

But how does it work out for you in the end ? Have you tracked your statistics ?

Could the money spent since your last job and now been better invested in starting your own company ?

Speaking of statistics, I'm going through this now with some "Colleagues". These are people who are above flipping burgers because it pays so little. So they struggle for a month or so to find something that pays like $4 an hour more. Lets do some math:

typical restaurant work: 32 hours a week.
Typical non-waitstaff pay: $8/hr
One month goes by : = $1024.

Get job for $12 an hour. 50% more. Will work for 6 weeks just to catch up with where they could have been if they had just gotten the stupid job and continued to interview / look for work.

If you can repair spyware infections on computers, in your own damned home, you can charge $80 per computer - And do two a day. That's all you need. 2 a day and you're $4000 ish per month. I have a stack of 12 machines at my bench at any given time, and I run malwarebytes and walk away.
I just have to say real quick, malwarebytes is not the end-all beat-all. I used it over and over again, updating over and over again, and in the end, it was AVG that found the big ones.

Well, the point is still valid. You just run software. If you get a Hiren DVD, you're in business.

Back