how do you remove crank

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cointelpro

im trying to strip down my new b18 block and im having trouble finding out how to remove the crank without the tranny being on and in gear in order to stop it from spinning when i turn it. are there any ways to do this or do i need the tranny?

thanks in advance

are you talking about the crank pulley? i thought you meant the actual crank shaft, lol!
you will need someway to lock the flywheel

yea but i cant find a way to lock it up, im gonna end up borrowin an impact wrench from a friend to do it.

what i did is put some of the flywheel bolts back in and use a pry bar to wedge in there, then get the prybars leverage from the ground... do you know what i mean? kind of hard to explain.

ok, so you put 2 of the flywheel bolts back in right across from each other like this:
. o .

th o is the center of the crank, try to imagine (with my mad ascii art skillz)

so you take a pry bar, and put it like this
./.
if you can imagine those .'s being the bolts and the / being the pry bar (no "o" for the crank this time :) )
so, if its on the ground like so:
./.
the prybar will lock the crank (the handle will push to the ground) as the crank tries to turn.
does this help?

To get the pulley off you can also us a strap wrench or a chain strap wrench to hold the pulley from moving, an impact helps too. Good luck

ah strap wrench, ill hafta get me one of those. what im gonna end up trying is one of my friend will put some gloves on and hold the pully as tight as he can and then im gonna use my impact wrench on the bolt in the middle of the pullies. think this will work?

i can hear the flames already but im gonna say this anyway, fuck you to all who flame me.

ima noobie and i dont know wtf the flywheel is.... im assuming it is a tranny part, but if it is i could not do it that way because i donth ave ANY parts for the tranny, bolts, ect. so tell me than and then i will probably understand you b16.

thats what i thought it was, but god damnit i dont have those bolts, i guess ill hafta go junk yard diving or order them from acura, and pay 2 bucks per bolt, and wait 1 week for shipment.

impact wrench will take it off w/ the tranny off no problem.. i've done it several times.

if the crank pulley is coming off for the first time, it is a biatch if you don't have a huge impact wrench. The strap wrench thing has never worked for me personally, the nut is on too friggin tight. They make a special tool that you don't need an impact gun. it fits in the hexagon shaped hole, and has a arm on it so you can use a regular wrench inside to get the bolt off. I've heard theyre about 30 bucks though, so take your tries with the impact wrench first. Make sure it's turned up all the way, those nuts are are on w/ like 60 foot pounds, and have threadlock on them from the factory.

if i remember correctly its torqued down to 120ft/lbs.
the method i mentioned worked great for me.

I knew I was shoot a little low on the torque, but I know the thing is still a pain

impact to take it off, tq it down to spec with new fresh oem bolts from honda when putting back together.

I sat on mine with an impact wrench for ten minutes, it didn't do shit.. you gotta get the pulley removing tool, they're only like 10 bucks and unless you have one honking impact wrench, it won't work...

I have an Ingersoll Rand brand with about 680 ft lbs on the reverse. And it works for me all the time. This is not top of the line brand but this is what I use in my garage. I would not recommend using cheap impact tools. Most of all your air compressor got to have enough psi to back up your tools. You need a compressor with at least 25-30 gal tank that will hold 150- 175 psi capacity.

Back