How do you save money?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

30k where he lives is like 5k everywhere else. lol

That's impressive. I defer vacation time to a 357b. I also have a PERS retirement system.

$30k emergency fund? :wtf: I wanna know where you work! That's great man.
Never heard of deferring vacation, I like to use mine for vacations though. :)

Ya, we have 2 kids, I'm the only income earner in the household.. $30k is to cover us for some time should I lose my job for any reason.

That's impressive. I defer vacation time to a 357b. I also have a PERS retirement system.

Pers is fucking awesome. Where do you work? My stepdad has a PERS down in Oregon. I'm heading down this weekend to help with retirement planning.

$30k really isn't that much. Any financial advisor worth a shit will tell you to have 6-9 months of income saved for emergency or unexpected layoffs. In reality, that's half a year salary for most people. It's only $70k salary worth of savings. With a stay at home wife and 2 kids, it really isn't THAT much.

Reactions: B16
It's not. but it's super hard to get there. lord knows i'm no where near there today.
I had a decent savings account at one point... but then when i lost my job in 2008 i pillaged it and still haven't had a chance to recover from it (still paying off debt I racked up from that time).
With the car paid off in 3 months, and my debt after that hopefully gone in the next year, i'll be able to really double down on saving the short term cash.

It's not. but it's super hard to get there. lord knows i'm no where near there today.
I had a decent savings account at one point... but then when i lost my job in 2008 i pillaged it and still haven't had a chance to recover from it (still paying off debt I racked up from that time).
With the car paid off in 3 months, and my debt after that hopefully gone in the next year, i'll be able to really double down on saving the short term cash.

back in 2007 (i'm sure you guys remember the debauchery i was involved in back then) i wasn't working and acquired a lot of debt, flaked on my bills, maxed out credit cards, and sold a motorcycle and car just to get by. It took me a LONG time to get out of that hole.

How to not save money: don't work, drink a shitload, and try to bang anything that moves.

I did the same thing for a while as well. Took me a long time to get out the hole. Literally just got to daylight recently.

Never heard of deferring vacation, I like to use mine for vacations though. :)

Ya, we have 2 kids, I'm the only income earner in the household.. $30k is to cover us for some time should I lose my job for any reason.

I have a lot of years in, so I get 16hrs/mo vacation. The vacation deferral program allows me to essentially cash in at my hourly rate and apply that money pretax into the State of Washington(my choice) Deferred Compensation Program. That builds a nice little nest egg for later, without costing anything from my check. I can defer up to 8 hours/mo. I still have 12hrs/mo vacation, and 8 sick hrs.

That's an awesome bonus. I wish I could do that with my sick leave. I lose half of my accrued leave every year on my anniversary. last year i lost 32 hours. Which, at my rate, is a good chunk of change.

I use my sick/personal days (6/yr, use it or lose it) before any of my vacation days (earned @ ~10hrs/m, accrued and able to be rolled). I just took 2 weeks off for xmass and i'm already back at 140/160 hours i'm able to hold. by march 31, i need to use vacation time or i stop accruing.

take your time man. don't ever work for free.

If i had a 357b, i'd probably put about 10 days a year into it.

Man I don't get crap for working for a large company. 10 days a year for vaca. Only can roll over 10. 20 max carry. And 5 sick days at the beginning of the year. Use them or lose them annually. I didn't use any last year.

9 years in, I have 3 weeks vacation time every year, but my boss never even keeps track of it anyway. :)

I honestly wish i could get rid of cable and just have internet at $60 bucks a month instead of $165/m.
Man I don't get crap for working for a large company. 10 days a year for vaca. Only can roll over 10. 20 max carry. And 5 sick days at the beginning of the year. Use them or lose them annually. I didn't use any last year.

I get 10 days vaca, 3 personal, 5 sick, after 1.5 more years, or my 5 year anniversary.... I will get another 5 days vacation...10 years another 5 days.....and that's the max....use it or loose it policy, no carry over.....

Why can't you get rid of tv?

I have fios tv for 45/mo plus Hulu and Netflix for 9 each/mo.

I don't miss cable tv.

Why can't you get rid of tv?

I have fios tv for 45/mo plus Hulu and Netflix for 9 each/mo.

I don't miss cable tv.

If there was a way for me to watch the Yankees without Cable I would think about cutting Cable. My bill is $165/m(previously $205) for Cable/Inet and I don't get shit for channels. No HBO or shit like that. But,Netflix sucks....everything is old and they don't get new releases quick enough. I've had it three months and I'm already bored of it. Pretty much watched any good movie it had. Same with Amazon Prime as they basically have the same shit.

Things I watch are on:

History Channel
Discovery
YES Network
NESN
ESPN
FOX
TBS
FOX News
FOX Sports

My Wife watches stuff on
NBC
ABC
CBS
HGTV
Some Food shows on some network

I wish I could cash in my days too......I am maxed at 145 days of bankable sick days from here out I lose them. Each year I get 2 personal, 10 sick days and what I don't use get banked until I hit 145. Sounds great until you realize that in teaching every day you are out of the classroom equals 2 more days of make up due to curriculum and worthless sub teachers. Shit last year with my hip surgery I only used 5 sick days of the 10 because I chose to have it over my spring break. If I could cash them out at my daily pay it would be awesome.

I have a few things that I do to save money but I think the most important was working full time and saving money while I was in community college. I knew I wasn't going to get any help with paying for courses at the university, so I figured that would be the best way to go about handling the situation. My only regret is blowing some of my money on my car during this time. Oh well. I'll graduate with ~$15k in debt.

Seems pretty decent considering that's about 1/5th of my starting salary. lol

1. I've got $600/mo going into a money market account
2. 8% + 6% company match into the 401K .
3. All overtime money goes into a separate account, and I periodically pull from that and put into the above
4. Deleted satellite tv, got Netflix.
5. Sold my vehicles and got a subsidized company lease car
6. Fix everything on my house myself
7. Buy big ticket items used if I can (appliances, mowers, furniture)
8. Hobby project car is a vintage Mustang which has less depreciation than a newer sports car or old civic. Maybe it will appreciate down the road?

Reactions: tab
Back