how fast am I going

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ontheground

I was driving along and my speedometer cable broke then i threw a check engine light. Could it be related? I think so, but not sure. The cable goes. Also I went to my local parts house and they don't have any listing for any kind of cable. They said it was a dealership part. The cable goes into the top of some pump that sits on top of the tranny?

The cable is broken somewhere between the firewall and the back of the gage cluster... could this be why its throwing the check engine light?

The..cable? I'm not sure if it's the same as a 93 civic, but when you remove the gauge cluster there's only 2 plugs with electrical wiring that go in the back. There is no cable I don't know what you mean. And if one of those cables was broken it would be more than just the speedo not working on the cluster. The check engine light comes on whenever there's any problem with any wiring going to the engine bay which is why the CEL is related to the VSS, the sensor on top of the tranny. I would check that sensor, clean the sensor AND wire plug with carb cleaner, and check the wires for voltage. If there's voltage, then you need a new sensor.

Before you do anything, check your ecu for codes and see if you get the VSS code. If you do, then do what I said above and check the sensor and wiring for voltage etc..

If you're not getting the VSS code, then try using another gauge cluster.

And if yours is different and there's some kind of cable...sorry I can't help but someone on here will :).

it's a 91' integra and it's obd 0. It's a cable that runs to the back of the gage cluster. I was just wondering if the ECU reads off of the gage cluster, the speed. 93' Civic is obd 1. isn't this an integra forum?

The ecu reads off the vehicle speed sensor which is on top of the tranny and sends a signal which makes the gauge work.

I told you all I know hopefully you get help from someone who knows more on Integras soon.

The ecu reads off the vehicle speed sensor which is on top of the tranny and sends a signal which makes the gauge work.

I told you all I know hopefully you get help from someone who knows more on Integras soon.

Not so... My speed sensor in my si tranny was broken so i ran without a speedo for a week or so. I got a vss code on my ecu because of it. The signal you refer to comes from the dash cluster to the ecu. The cluster is driven by a cable, If the cable doesnt turn the speedo then the ecu doesnt get a reading and thus throws a code.

Like D15Beater said there is the speedo cable from the tranny that plugs into the gauge cluster. When the cable turns the speedometer the cluster sends the VSS signal to the ECU. So if the cable is broken then the speedometer won't give you a reading and thus the cluster can't send the ECU a VSS signal and throwing a code.

Back