How High

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattcalica

okay, i was just wondering how high a stock b16a bottom end can rev to, without doin internals...i was gonna go with boost, but now i decided to go N/A with a little help from the bottle. I was thinking of gettin skunk2 stages 2's and i know they make power up till about 9500 rpm...can my b16a bottom handle that? just wondering, any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by mattcalica@May 23 2003, 10:40 PM
okay, i was just wondering how high a stock b16a bottom end can rev to, without doin internals...i was gonna go with boost, but now i decided to go N/A with a little help from the bottle. I was thinking of gettin skunk2 stages 2's and i know they make power up till about 9500 rpm...can my b16a bottom handle that? just wondering, any help would be appreciated.

your bottom end can handle it...i know your head won't...if you wanna rev to 9500 you need a set of springs and retainers...actually...reving that high on the bottle might bend some rods but i'm not completely sure...get your head done first...the your bottom end, then get the bottle...in that order...but if i were you i'd invest in a quiaffe and lightened flywheel first...but that's just me...i'm sure other people feel differently...pissedoffsol has a set of retainers for sell...go get them from him

you know i hate to sound like an ass, but why do most "shune" away from building a bottom end? Yes you could "get away" without doing it , but for how long? I have a b16a right now that is partially built and I rev it to 9400 no prob. It scares the shit out of me everytime. Motors will eventually find the weak link. (ie. piston/rod/bearings) when you put enough power. If you don't beleive me, ask my buddy who just blew the # 1 and 2 piston out the side of his block on a 50 shot 'o' nos. I'm not saying spend your life savings on the entire engine build, but expect to have issues in the future with some sort of failure. Make it dependable. Trust me, its great to go as fast as you can. But it sucks 6 months later when you are in search of a new motor and have already thrown away thousands on a swap just to watch it self destruct in seconds. Take the extra effort. It IS worth it! I hope this helps.

see, the reason i dont want to work the bottom end is because of the down time...i can install springs/retainers and cams in a day, but a bottom end, the shops here in hawaii take like a month to bore a block and they do a shitty ass job...it has nothing to do with money, its just that my car is my daily driver, so i kinda need it...

Originally posted by mattcalica@May 28 2003, 12:04 AM
but a bottom end, the shops here in hawaii take like a month to bore a block

Bill took his head off, re-honed the bottom end, replaced the internals, and had it running in about 10 hours :lol:

and who says you have to bore?

Originally posted by hybrid89@May 27 2003, 05:29 PM
you know i hate to sound like an ass, but why do most "shune" away from building a bottom end? Yes you could "get away" without doing it , but for how long? I have a b16a right now that is partially built and I rev it to 9400 no prob. It scares the shit out of me everytime. Motors will eventually find the weak link. (ie. piston/rod/bearings) when you put enough power. If you don't beleive me, ask my buddy who just blew the # 1 and 2 piston out the side of his block on a 50 shot 'o' nos. I'm not saying spend your life savings on the entire engine build, but expect to have issues in the future with some sort of failure. Make it dependable. Trust me, its great to go as fast as you can. But it sucks 6 months later when you are in search of a new motor and have already thrown away thousands on a swap just to watch it self destruct in seconds. Take the extra effort. It IS worth it! I hope this helps.

i never said he shouldn't do the bottom end...all i was saying is if he decides to jump back to the boost idea...he wouldn't have to rip apart the block again just to do the pistons all over again...IMHO i would squeeze every last hp out of the head until i fugured out if i were going to go NA or FI

do skunk2 stage2's really make power to 9500? if so can a type-r bottom end handle 9500 at least for a month of daily driving?

Originally posted by omega11855@Jun 3 2003, 01:09 PM
do skunk2 stage2's really make power to 9500? if so can a type-r bottom end handle 9500 at least for a month of daily driving?

yes a stock type-r bottom end can handle that no problem

i am on the verge of having my chip being burned and i need to know if it actually makes power to 9,500 though or if that would be a good place to set the revlimit does anyone have any suggestions sorry i dont mean to hi-jack the thread just a quick oppinion please sorry agian

Originally posted by omega11855@Jun 3 2003, 01:47 PM
i am on the verge of having my chip being burned and i need to know if it actually makes power to 9,500 though or if that would be a good place to set the revlimit does anyone have any suggestions sorry i dont mean to hi-jack the thread just a quick oppinion please sorry agian

my chipped P28 i had, had no rev limiter. set it to 10,500 and just be cautious :)

10,500 wow thats way to high skunk2 valvetrain i have isnt even good at those rpm's wow well maybe i should set it at 9,500 cause that is too high for me

Originally posted by omega11855@Jun 3 2003, 06:19 PM
10,500 wow thats way to high skunk2 valvetrain i have isnt even good at those rpm's wow well maybe i should set it at 9,500 cause that is too high for me

if you're able to control your foot, you dont need a rev limiter.

there's no way skunk2 stg 2's cams make power to 9500...
but a b16 bottom end should be fine at that rpm. i would go any higher though.

Back