1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How interchangeable are B series parts??

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by REDMAC, Sep 8, 2006.

1. REDMAC

REDMAC Trick or treat

I want to drop a B series DOHC VTEC in my Del Sol and found someone saling a b16 lower end for $75. Before I looked at this I wanted to make sure the DOHC Vtec head will bolt on.
    Are any of the B series SOHC. and/or not versatile with VTEC.

2. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

a b16 block will bolt to a gsr (b18c1), itr(b18c5)and b16(b16a*) head with no problems.

those are all vtec heads...the non vtec (b18a and b18b) are not so compatible.

3. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

research is your friend. sohc and dohc do not mix whatsoever. you need a b-series head and b-series block. if you can get the block for $75 that is a good deal, get a gsr head for about $500 and you will be set. but you still need mounts and axles. shift linkage to. expect to spend about $1500-$2000 to piece together a b-series swap.

4. REDMAC

REDMAC Trick or treat

I understand that dohc and sohc don't mix. That is the main reason for the post. I did want to buy the block only to find out that wasn't made for the dohc.
    How about the Vtec?

5. get_nick

what about the vtec? you will need a full vtec head. you can use an itr,gsr, or a b16 head. if it's a full block for $75 that's a pretty good deal. vtec heads are pretty easy to come buy. you can usually buy them with some extra parts for pretty cheap. but you will still need a tranny,mounts, linkage and ecu.

6. REDMAC

REDMAC Trick or treat

I also just found a 93 intgra with front end damage for 2k. Thinking this will be a better deal will have the ecu, head, harness etc. But will also be stock.
    Any suggestions?

7. get_nick

well, that is a different model integra than most of the other ones people think of. the motor is a b18a. if it is a gsr it's the b17 vtec model. you could probably part it out for more than $2,000 but the whole swap out of the car is only worth about $1200 or so. maybe less like $1,000. it's up to you. i would personally hold out for a newer ls or something with vtec. it all depends on how much you want to spend.

8. REDMAC

REDMAC Trick or treat

supposedly it has a b16 swap. The lady saling the car doesn't seem to know that much about it. Your right if its the b17 model. I'm going to go look tommorow.

9. get_nick

if the damage is minimal,i would consider just fixing it and keeping the car or re-selling it. if she doesn't know much about it, odds are it's still stock. well good luck and post when you find out.

10. REDMAC

REDMAC Trick or treat

I don't know if the car is repairable ...at least by me ;-P.... But I stopped and looked at it.. It's a B16... She said that the guy that put it got it from japan... SO its also a JDM.... Looks good. I'll end up parting the car and engine is drop right in the Del SOl ... Good times..

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted