how long did it take you to do your swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i cant veiw cause im at work- swap in a minute and a half-

lol that's a bug. Like 4 bolts and the engine comes off. It's taken me like 2 years to do my build. LOL. But I'd like my car to go a little longer than 15ft. maybe 20.

Wow. Much easier when there aren't vacuum lines, EFI systems, water cooling systems etc to hook up...

The guys at Intercrew can do them in about 20-30 minutes. :)

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 15 2005, 01:42 PM
Wow. Much easier when there aren't vacuum lines, EFI systems, water cooling systems etc to hook up...
[post=526803]Quoted post[/post]​

kind of what I was thinking..nothing but a motor and trans, and connect a couple of bolts and linkage..

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jul 15 2005, 02:27 PM
lol that's a bug. Like 4 bolts and the engine comes off.
[post=526784]Quoted post[/post]​

yup
it is actually easier to just change out the engine than replace anything on it
hell doing the generator (alternator) with the engine in the car is a 4 - 5 hour job... taking the engine out puts it at under an hour

now im not saying im not impressed
swapping out an engine in a minute and a half is fucking badass
all im saying is as far as swapping engines go, the old VW bugs are probly the easiest out there

granted, its an easy car.

but shit, i bet half of us couldn't jack up and install a strut bar on a civic in 1:30.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 15 2005, 03:21 PM

but shit, i bet half of us couldn't jack up and install a strut bar on a civic in 1:30.
[post=526851]Quoted post[/post]​

^^true that...

wow :eek: ....Those guys did that swap quick.... :thumbsup: to them...

Doesn't give details either. Were the tools already laid out, any custom made tools? I bet none of those bolts were rusted on either.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 15 2005, 02:21 PM

[post=526851]Quoted post[/post]​

I can replace the oil pan and gasket on my car in one hour flat. Doing it four times will do that to ya :) I can replace a drive axle in 25-30 minutes, swap cams in about 20, a water pump in 20, an oil pump in 30, etc etc. Not too impressive, but it's good to be able to fix your car with decent speed if you're ever broke down on the highway.

yea bugs are easy as hell to work on. i had 2 in highschool that were built, i could take the motor out ,swap the clutch and reinstall it in 30 mins

but doing it in a 1:30 thats impressive

A few guys that i work with used to have all kinds of bugs... I never believed him when he told me he could pull the motor out of the car from running, to on the ground in 6 minutes....

I went over to his house and he showed me... He grabbed 4 screwdrivers, and a few wrenches (dont remember sizes)... And in 6 minutes, 33 seconds, the motor was out, and on the ground... And in about 7 minutes (He stopped to drink his beer) it was back in and running.

I SERIOUSLY think I might do an air cooled for my next project... Slam it, throw some wide 15's on it, do some custom body work, and call it a day.

Back