1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

?how Low!?

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by almightyaccord, May 29, 2003.

1. almightyaccord

almightyaccord Junior Member

Ok i am wondering how low do you guys think i should go b/c i want to be low but i dont want to mess up my car now. So should i go with.............1.75Front and 1.5Rear or 2.2Front and 2.0Rear.

2. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

1.75 and 1.5, but usually it is the other way around - 1.5 front and 1.75 rear. That is because there is far more weight in front, therefore, for an equal ride height the rear is dropped a bit more. That goes more for springs than coilovers.

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

no the front is supposed to be slightly lower than the rear
    its called "rake"

4. highperboi

highperboi Senior Member

what does making the front lower then the back do?

5. SixtySecondAssassin

SixtySecondAssassin Senior Member

6. Canuck 93 Civic Si

Canuck 93 Civic Si Senior Member

I think cars look better with the front lower then the rear, thats how my car is. Its also a bit better for launching too.

7. E_SolSi

generally if the car is ballanced correctly the front will be slightly lower than the rear
    so it helps with weight distribution
    that helps with traction and handling
    also at speed having the front slightly lower than the rear is better for aerodynamics (less air goes under the car... less lift)

my car is set to 6 inches ground to chasis in the rear and 5.5 inches ground to chasis in the front
    and SixtySecondAssassin if you could look at my car and tell there is 1/2 inch height difference between the front and rear... you really should be an architect or something :rolleyes:

8. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

ya I didn't know it was called "rake", but I knew the concept. However I'm not really wrong, the concept is still right, I was just thinking cosmetically instead of technically. I'll slip and do that sometimes

<--- ricer

9. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

check out the eibach sportline spring specs for your car. they're designed to be the lowest you can go on the street without being unsafe. on my crx, they are 1.75" front and 1.5" rear. i MUST take socal driveways on a diagonal or else i scrape. (we have rain gutters at the bottom of all our driveways here). i also scrape slightly on tall speedbumps. my wheel and tire sizes are stock (for an si).

10. SixtySecondAssassin

i think he edited his post. it originally said 'what will lowering the back more than the front do'. im sorry i upset you. and im not and architect im an engineer.

11. E_SolSi

nah not at all .... im just a suspension / handling freak (one of the few on here that like turning more than drag racing)

close enough ;) lol

12. SixtySecondAssassin

this is kinda off topic but when you got your car corner balanced what exactly did they do? how much was it? can you recommend any places?

13. Gen2Teg

Gen2Teg Senior Member

2.2 in the front and 2.5 in the rear or whatever it was, but for sure get it more than 1.75, its not all that noticeable. Just make sure you get good coilovers/springs and shocks, don't go for the cheap maxspeed or R1 stuff.

14. E_SolSi

i know the shop ... i did their network for them (with help from B) so i didnt pay much ... dont remember how much it was

but anyway ... they put each tire on a scale and with you in the car make adjustments to the hight of each corner untill you get perfect balance or very close to it

60-40 front to rear
    50-50 side to side
    50-50 corner to corner

i dont know where you are so i cant really recomend anywhere ... but ask around locally for shops that work with autocross and road course racers they should have the equipment (go to an autoX or HPDE and ask around there if your having trouble finding shops)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted