how many pounds of boost?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I believe he has been told that diff size turbos will give out diff power at the same boost....one of the other threads he started that ahs now been closed (I know I said it in one fashion or another)

It is true that opinions differ but doesn't mean that he shouldn't listen...how the hell else is he going to become informed to make the best educated desicion? If he calls a shop..they'll try to sell him their stuff...and too much.

I STILL stick by the thought that a GReddy kit is the way to go....especially for a NooB to turbo...its easy to install and he'll enjoy it. I helped put one in in 2001 and it was pretty straight forward (hardest thing was taking the oil pan off and taping it for the oil line fitting)

for any turbo beginner.. an off the shelf turbo kit is the way to go.. me personally would go with the Edelbrock kit.. i'd like to toss one on the GSR... haha

I'm with B on this thread, most of the people giving advice in here lack the basic knowledge to be giving it (no offense to anyone).

But really, PSI means nothing.

PSI is Pounds Per Square inch, right? How the hell does this designate what it's going to do to an engine? How do you know what kind of power the engine is going to make on xPSI? You don't. Which is why you set a HP goal and tune towards it, regardless of PSI.

If you want a measure that means something, CFM's do.

:endfail:

I'm with B on this thread, most of the people giving advice in here lack the basic knowledge to be giving it (no offense to anyone).

But really, PSI means nothing.

PSI is Pounds Per Square inch, right? How the hell does this designate what it's going to do to an engine? How do you know what kind of power the engine is going to make on xPSI? You don't. Which is why you set a HP goal and tune towards it, regardless of PSI.

If you want a measure that means something, CFM's do.

OK, but so many pounds per square inch of pressure will eventually break sleeves. Your forcing air into the motor, too much air will cause problems. So actually, knowing how much Psi can determine what happens to an engine to an extent.

OK, but so many pounds per square inch of pressure will eventually break sleeves. Your forcing air into the motor, too much air will cause problems. So actually, knowing how much Psi can determine what happens to an engine to an extent.

You're right! Exactly right as a matter of fact, but HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT PRESSURE IS? Its going to vary heavily based upon the engine/turbo setup.

To come into a thread and just throw out random numbers isn't going to do any good.

It's like this:
5 PSI on a GT3076R with a 56 trim .60A/R compressor and an 84 trim 1.06 A/R turbine is going to be a HELL of a lot different than 5 PSI on a GT2554R with a 60 trim .80A/R compressor and a 62 trim .64 A/R turbine.
The difference lies in CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute), which is a measure of velocity. There lies the difference.

Also, this is going to depend heavily on how many miles are on the engine, how well it's been maintained, etc.

This question should always be answered in HP figures, NEVER in PSI. There is a difference, I've seen it first hand. So before you go and attempt to tear into me again, do some research.

You're right! Exactly right as a matter of fact, but HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT PRESSURE IS? Its going to vary heavily based upon the engine/turbo setup.

To come into a thread and just throw out random numbers isn't going to do any good.

It's like this:
5 PSI on a GT3076R with a 56 trim .60A/R compressor and an 84 trim 1.06 A/R turbine is going to be a HELL of a lot different than 5 PSI on a GT2554R with a 60 trim .80A/R compressor and a 62 trim .64 A/R turbine.
The difference lies in CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute), which is a measure of velocity. There lies the difference.

Also, this is going to depend heavily on how many miles are on the engine, how well it's been maintained, etc.

This question should always be answered in HP figures, NEVER in PSI. There is a difference, I've seen it first hand. So before you go and attempt to tear into me again, do some research.

You guys seem to be gangin up on me like im the one throwing around numbers and PSI. IF you didnt read any of my posts, i talked about hp, never did i say run 10psi, run 14 psi etc. I even talked about how Dseries rods are weak points, and how stock D sleeves can only handle so much HP.

So redirrect your aggression towards the noobs that actually require some bashing.

First and foremost...I am here to learn and pass on knoweldge.

I dont think anyone is ganging up on you...they're just throwing their two cents in (some in an abrasive manner)

PSI and CFM make up the hp you will obtain through turbo. They both play a role and the numbers are different depending on the size of the turbo.

Matt is talking about a whole other level of turbo knowledge. He knows what hes talking about.

to put what Matt said in laments terms:

smaller turbo needs more pounds per square inch (PSI) to obtain the desired level of cubic feet per minute (CFM)

Larger turbos have...well...a larger turbine so it takes less PSI to obtain the same amount of CFM's

the key point here, is that PSI is the measurement of air pressure at the MAP sensor, not what is in the combustion chamber.

even given the EXACT same size turbo,
I can have 100psi with a 1mm throttle body making 10 hp, or 10psi with a 60mm throttle body making 100hp.

to the OP
on a stock z6 with a solid tune
200-225 whp is safe. 250 is doable but slightly risky. 250+ is just a matter of when, not if.... even if 'when' is 20 years later.

Back