How many rings to cut on stock springs?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I wanted a 2.5 inch drop all the way around. I have a 1990 Honda Civic LX Sedan Si. How many ring should I cut off to accomplish this drop?

I just need to drop it for now until I get them. Trust, I know what Im gettin into I just need a lil knowledge on cuttin springs.

And how do you upload photos to your profile because its not letting me do it from my control panel. Its a sentence that says "Do not use avatar" and is check off and wont let me undo it. It say if you have a custom avatar use this option will delete it. How do you get past that?

If you really must, just measure how many coils make up 2.5 inches when the car is sitting level on the ground, then remove the springs and cut them. Or just buy really cheap springs on eBay used and take care of it quickly. Or just be safer and WAIT until you get the right springs.

You have to be a member on EBay to buy from ebay and I dont wanna be a member.

craigslist? amazon?

you have a sedan SI? that makes no sense lol unless you have a swap.

just like calesta said though, you cut those springs you run the risk of having to purchase new tie rods, ball joints, and such... the springs are progressive, if they do not compress proper and uniform you could be in for a world of hurt. also they wont sit in the perches correctly.

Just don't. Its a horrible thing to do to a car. Ride will suck, your suspension will bottom out, blow your struts, and if you hit a good enough pothole or speed bump, it will cause damage to the body of your car.

id say 4 cuts should do. two for each wrist... Face, meet Palm.

why thank you kind sir.here's a free bump. im sure there will be plenty more to come down the road you're traveling.

Use an oxy/acetylene torch on the springs while the car is sitting on the ground. DO NOT heat till the spring is glowing. Just heat it until the desired drop is accomplished. There is an episode of this technique on overhauling. This is not the propper way to lower but it's cheap. It's not as bad as cutting the springs but it affects the composition of the metal. Don't just heat one part of the spring either, heat a couple coils uniformly.

don't do it. you're better off with 20 crap springs. i'm sure there's a set in the classifieds somewhere.

Just make sure you cut the dead coils (I say two or three)

Its the ones all together and don't affect the flexibility of the suspension ride (except for bottoming out lol)

Chopped springs ride poorly on anything.

Buy proper springs. Trust us.

I agree....but if you wanna go cheap and cut them....you can. I cut my neuspeed race springs in the front to have it tuck more...I was young and wanted to be low low low. I had stock shocks that were gone and rolled around like an idiot....

It can be done but, for obvious reasons, it is frowned upon

Back