How many rings to cut on stock springs?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wouldn't there be a safety issue involved with this? That allow would be enough encouragement for me not to do it.

Wouldn't there be a safety issue involved with this? That allow would be enough encouragement for me not to do it.

Yeah, there are many safety issues. Not to mention a bruised ego when your car gets stuck on a speed bump you didn't see.

Something to think about is brake induced weight transfer.

just remove the springs all together and weld the shocks at the desired ride height.
maybe weld in some bars for added support
make your civic a "rigid", like all the badass custom choppers and shit

I have cut springs up front, but it was absolutely necessary(using 89 Accord shocks). I only cut 1 coil IIRC, but that thing had to be compressed to hell to get the top hat on.

you cut one coil out and that will drop your car a inch to a inch and half but dont measure it out if you cut a coil and half out the coils wont sit right

Did you seriously join to post in a thread that's 2 years old? :facepalm:

Use an oxy/acetylene torch on the springs while the car is sitting on the ground. DO NOT heat till the spring is glowing. Just heat it until the desired drop is accomplished. There is an episode of this technique on overhauling. This is not the propper way to lower but it's cheap. It's not as bad as cutting the springs but it affects the composition of the metal. Don't just heat one part of the spring either, heat a couple coils uniformly.

sry, saw it active made post then tried to erase...

just remove the springs all together and weld the shocks at the desired ride height.
maybe weld in some bars for added support
make your civic a "rigid", like all the badass custom choppers and shit

:werd:

Back