HOW MUCH BOOST ON STOCK LS RODS?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B18DELSWOL

I have a b18b1 with wiesco 9:1 pistons. cant realy afford aftermarket rods this minute, and was wondering how much psi will the stock ls rods hold up till? 8-10psi? is there anything i can do to make the rods stronger? i will use arp rod bolts. the machine shop is pressuring me to let them know so they can put the bottomend together.(warranty) well thanks...

It can handle 8-10 but just to be safe I wouldn't go past 7. I'm assuming this if it was a t3 turbo. You can't just throw out numbers without telling us which turbo. Since your shortcutting, don't be surprised if something unexpected happens.

sorry, im gonna go with the greddy kit. i do have access to a dyno and plan to use a hondata s200. is 250whp in reason?

psi is meaning less.

an 18g greddy kit at stock boost and a hondata, you will be more than fine.

275 whp is common.... just don't try to over-rev it.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Sep 9 2004, 09:02 PM
It can handle 8-10 but just to be safe I wouldn't go past 7. I'm assuming this if it was a t3 turbo. You can't just throw out numbers without telling us which turbo. Since your shortcutting, don't be surprised if something unexpected happens.
[post=388255]Quoted post[/post]​

Lol, what the hell are you talking about? Don't go past 7 psi just to be safe? Yeah okay haha... I have been running 10 psi (about 215whp) on my stock d16z6 for 7 months and my rods are fine (I will be running 12-14 psi at the track, I am a little worried at 14 psi, but I think I will be fine if it's just at the track). I have a buddy that ran 14 pounds daily (18g turbo) on his stock ZC for a while and his rods were fine. I know a lot more people that have been running 200+ whp on d-series motors for a while without any problems. The b-series rods are a lot bigger than d-series rods also, so they can obviously hold more power. The LS rods because of their design are weaker (rods bolts are the weak point) than the B16/GSR rods, but they can still handle a good amount of power. This guy even has upgraded ARP rod bolts, the rods will hold up fine.

I've been running 12.5:1lb of boost on a stock "LS" bottom end for quite a while it all comes down to the tunning. If you are lean at any point the detonation can rattle the rod bolts loose and make a rod come out to breath fresh air. Be smart and tune it, and don't over rev it. If you have it apart.. put good rod bolts in it.

sorry.. should have said 12.5lb of boost on a stock "LS" engine is perfectly fine as long as it's tuned. I pushed 15lb of boost on a stock "LS" and made 340whp.. crappy down pipe, SSAutoChrome exhaust mani, apexi, and my hondata for about 3 months hard driving / not racing. Put it back on the dyno pushed 17lb.. went lean and cracked the cylinder bore on #2 about 1.5" down from the deck surface. No block guard, sleeve work, or pistons.. you get what you deserve.

As long as you don't get greedy and stay around your 250 mark you should be good

Back