How Much Boost?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDcompman

Ok just a quick question on how much boost you guys think I can safely run on my new engine im building? Here is what it has....
B16a2 Block bored 20 over
Wiseco 8.5:1 forged pistons
Eagle H beam rods
T3/T04e Turbo
Arp head studs
Everything else in the bottom end is brand new oem parts.
I'm basiclly just wondering how much boost the stock sleeves can take?
Thanks

Sorry for the wrong forum. Wasn't sure on which one to put it in. I also forgot to add that I'm going to be using Hondata S200 with this engine.

over bore = thinner/weaker walls.
8 psi is as high as i'd go

My engine's .020 over and I've run 15 PSI, no problems... I'm about to push the envelope even further and find out what breaks...

More details to come soon. ;)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 9 2003, 01:08 AM
:lol: and how many times have you blown up?

How many times have you gone faster than 14.9? Never. Shut yer pie hole, Mr. Del SLO.

'Blown up' the the engine? Never. The turbo died because of a faulty rebuild/seals? Once. The timing belt broke. Once. Burned a piston or two. Once.

NEVER broke a block. I'm on the same block that was in my car in 1998.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@May 9 2003, 03:01 AM
How many times have you gone faster than 14.9? Never. Shut yer pie hole, Mr. Del SLO.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
:owned:

hahahaha

I thought that when you "blew up" last year you took out the 2 pistons, and in doing so scratched ths shit out of your sleeve? my bad

It DID scratch the sleeve, but when I went .020 over, the scratches were removed. That's mostly the reason I went with such large overbore pistons. I'd have gone .010 if I could have.

Pbbbbbbbbbbbt! :p

8.5.1 pistons and overbored sleeves? bad combo IMO. That means u hav to boost higher to make up for lost compression power, but boosting higher is harder on ur weaker walls. so i duno what to tell u

Weaker walls sneaker stalls.

Stock B-Series Honda sleeves have been used and abused at up to and more than 450 HP, at over 20 PSI from 60-1 turbo's. As long as your engine doesn't detonate, you need to worry about rings and piston problems before the sleeves, even up to a .030" or .040" overbore.

buddys car ran fine on 1 bar with a B16 with only pistons, another good friend of mine ran LS bottom with only pistons but i don't know how much boost, the b16 had a 18g with a 20g wheel in it and the ls had a t3/t4. Both ran mid 12's on ZERO problems, the b16 was sold to a friend and then to me, who then I parted it out WTF, nevermind...either way, yes it can be done but personally i wouldn't. I would always take precautions before boosting high. With only pistons, i would only go up to 10psi.

Milan

Back