How much can it handle?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

22crazy

whats up? I was thinking of building a b20/b16 motor on boost. My friend has an audi a4 1.8T and he is upgrading his turbo so he said he would give me his. Im not sure about the specs of the turbo but its the stock factory one with internal wastegate. Anyways i plan to have stock b16/gsr head (would it make a big difference on how much boost i can run) and stock b20 block and i was just wondering how much i should be running the turbo at? Like has anyone had experience to what safe psi and maximum psi should be run with the stock internals?

i'm sure it can be done, my friends have used turbos from volvo's and chryslers on thier motors and it works fine. i'd probably get the gsr head on the b20. my friends b20/vtec (gsr head) turbo hatch ran strong. if you don't use a gsr head then try and get some gsr camshafts, they increase the lift and reduce overlap and are great for turbo. i've heard skunk2 i think it was stage 2 cams (n/a) work great for turbo also, but I haven't heard from anyone that has actually ran them.

the gsr cams are the same as the b16a 1st gen cams. both sets of cams have 17 d of overlap.

dont go searching for a gsr head either. they dont flow as well as the b16 and they are the bastard head of the b series world.

p.s. it means a lot that you included a quote from me in your sig si. you spread my knowledge and i'll spread my seed.

i was more curious about what psi i should run the turbo at so that it wont cause any damage to the motor? or can i even adjust the pressure?

gsr and b16 cams are not the same.

reference material is located in, you guessed it, our reference section.

b16 head vs gsr head's flow characteristics are 99% the same.

Simplyfast, back up what you say with something, because all yoru posts are bullshit. stop guessing and going by what your boys told you. use fact.

safe boost is less related to the motor as it is to fuel delivery and tuning.

that kkk turbo from the audi is small... it will top out before you are in danger of blowing up, IF you are tuned/giving it enough fuel properly.

With the exception of the Type R cams, all of the standard B-series engines have similar high rpm VTEC lobe specs. They all have 230 degrees of intake duration (measured at 1mm of checking clearance) with 10.6-10.7mm of lift. On the exhaust side, they have 227 degrees of duration and 9.4mm of lift. The cams all have about 17 degrees of overlap.

What works really well on all of these engines is to swap the cams for the Type R Integra cams or the JDM 1998 Civic Type R cams. The Integra Type R cams have 240 degrees of intake duration with 11.5mm of lift while the exhaust sports 235 degrees of duration and 10.5mm of lift. The Integra Type R cam also has 25 degrees of overlap. The JDM 1998 Civic Type R cams is slightly bigger with 243 degrees of intake duration and 28 degrees of overlap.

b16a1 cam spec: 10; 40; 230; 40; 7; 227; 17; 10.6; 9.4
b18c cam spec: 10; 40; 230; 40; 7; 227; 17; 10.6; 9.4
numbers respectively: I.O. btdc; I.C. abdc, I.D.; E.O bbdc; E.C. atdc; E.D; O; I.L.; E.L.
I.O.= intake opening
I.C.= intake closing
I.D.= intake duration
E.O= exhaust opening
E.C.= exhaust closing
E.D.= exhaust duration
O= overlap
I.L.= intake lift
E.L.= exhaust lift

Honda Cam spec

22crazy, trust me, i dont lie about makin cars go fast. pissedofsol just has it out for me cause of other posts ive made. that and my signature...

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 20 2003, 08:24 PM
p.s. it means a lot that you included a quote from me in your sig si. you spread my knowledge and i'll spread my seed.

.....thats a taunt, not a praise.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 20 2003, 11:10 PM
b16a1 cam spec: 10; 40; 230; 40; 7; 227; 17; 10.6; 9.4
b18c cam spec: 10; 40; 230; 40; 7; 227; 17; 10.6; 9.4

these specs are wrong... very wrong.

gsr's have about 15* more duration than b16 cams do, and .2 more lift.

look i appreicaite everything that everyone has said, but i trust pissedoffsol or calesta or anyone else that they have agreed with in a convo. All i plan to do is build a b20/vtec, weither i use the b16 or b18c head is up to whatever one i find cheaper. Im only throwing a little turbo cause i dont want the hassel of a huge turbo setup and spending big coin ( pissedoffsol im pretty sure u know what im talking about ;) ) anyways i only plan to build a motor with a decent amount of power 200-250 bhp. Im still trying to pay for school and all my other stuff. So like i have said b4, thanx for all ur help, i really appreicate it.

P.S Simplyfast - Please backup what you state or else we now ur :bs:

i'll anti-back it up for him.

crower - quite possibly the oldest cam maker in the business...

http://www.crower.com/cat/import/honda/camshafts.shtml

if you're scroll a little bit, you'll see this:

Part # Description Advertised Duration Duration @ .050" Gross Lift w/1.55
Stock Specs from Civic Si Int-265 mid Exh-267 mid Int-219 mid Exh-214 mid Int-.412 mid Exh-.379 mid
Stock Specs from GSR Int-274 mid Exh-276 mid Int-230 mid Exh-216 mid Int-.423 mid Exh-.378 mid
Stock Specs from Civic Type R (JDM Spec) Int-278 mid Exh-280 mid Int-233 mid Exh-224 mid Int-.449 mid Exh-.417 mid

thank you, drive through

i dont see none of ya'll providing specs for the cams, do i? it isnt hard to sit there and bash someone else, but it gets a little more difficult to provide fact and prove me wrong...

pissedofsmallpenis...the reference section of this site doesnt list specs for stock cams other than itr and ctr...furthermore, they couldnt even do the research themselves...they just borrowed it from allmotorhonda.com...

its a taunt? lol...like i said, you spread my knowledge ill spread my seed.

civic si b16a3 isnt 1st gen is it? no its not little boy...go back to school and learn how to read before you try to refute my facts!

Member Suspension: Result

simplyfast is suspended until... Aug 30 2017, 07:09 AM
Email Sent Account Suspension Notification

simplyfast,
Your member account at HondaSwap.com has been temporarily suspended.

Your account will not be functional until Aug 30 2017, 07:09 AM (depending on your timezone). This is an automated process and you do not need to do anything to expediate the unsuspension process.

Board Address: https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php

sorry he had to ruin your thread. he won't be back until 2017 :)

simplyfast is suspended until... Aug 30 2017, 07:09 AM
Email Sent Account Suspension Notification

HAHAHAHA, LMAO suspends him for 13 years. Thats some funny shit, i was jus wondering can't these people just sign back up with a different name?

And we all chant... pissedoffsol. pissedoffsol. How'd you come up with 13 years. I feel we will see more of this 'simplyfast' character. Everyone beware of his new name IF he comes back. lol

Back