how much can my sleeves take with a block gaurd?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

je power

how much can my sleeves take with the gaurd? i think im only gunna go to about 20psi at the track and maybe 15 to 17 daily. im doing a vitara build with a y8 block and z6 head. thanks

your static compression should be pretty low with vitaras, im sure those numbers would be fine (dont see a problem with cylinder pressure)

a/f ratio is going to be completely dependent upon the tuner
what size turbo are you running

20psi on a big turbo like that is a lot of power. Don't just throw psi numbers out as a goal. use power as a goal and a psi as a means to get there.

personally, i would ditch the block guard. IMO they do more harm than good.

this is how i found out my power goals. 20psi x 98 x 8200 / 2 / 396000 = 29.29 per psi then i did 20 x 29.29 = 405.85 and that should be my horse power at the fly wheel and im looking to get 400whp so im hoping to find a good tune to help me hit that goal

400 on a stock y8? lol you're dreaming buddy. you'll blow that thing to smitherines long before you see 400.
hell, 300 is pushing it.
250 is probably a top goal, and even that isn't safe.

yeah, your engine simply isn't going to hold together at that power level.

if you want 400+whp on a SOHC, it's gonna take a full build

hell, even on a b-series 400+whp is going to take pretty much a full build to be reliable

Like B stated block guards do more harm than good.
Picture it like this:
With boost pushing your motor, your motor is operating at higher temperatures. Therefore needing all the cooling it can get, block guards restrict the flow of coolant to the top of your motor.

400hp+ on a daily driven boosted SOHC is very very feasible if you did your homework and got your block sleeved. Most people want to go massive turbo and call it good. But contrary to what people may think, a big turbo may hurt your goals. To get the most out of your motor while boosting. You'll need to find a turbo that will spool at very low pressure and continue to spool throughout your RPM range. Thus keeping turbo "lag" in check and giving you a nice steady power climb.

Now there have been 400hp+ SOHC motors around on stock sleeves with block guards. Trust me I have seen one here in the state of Utah. Yeah, he did daily it but that did not last too long. Lasted maybe eight months tops if I remember right. When you increase your horsepower output of any motor your decreasing its reliability and longevity.

Last but not least TUNING is crucial especially for high horsepower motors!!!

I say no to the block guard. If its a daily driver (circulation is important) and you don't want to deal with changing motors every year, I would tone down the power goals.
If you want to try to hit 10's in the 1/4....go for it but it would be silly to think you can drive it to work everyday too.

you really don't even need that much power to go 11's or 10's in a honda if thats what you're worried about. the cars are light. focus more of your efforts on getting it to the pavement and actually having traction.

a 250whp honda with good traction moves pretty damn good.

alright thanks for the pointers. but heres my next question what do you guys think i should limit my boost to with out using a block gaurd.like would 15 to 17 be pushing it?

200 is good on stock block.
you're doing the rods and pistons, so 250 is likely reasonable. i don't know how good those vitaras actually are.

Ive seen tons of videos of them but I been tryin to find out what is the limit the most I seen was 600 which is a lil bit to much for me. they are cast and i dont want them to shatter on me if I detnate or some bullshit

don't confuse a dyno queen or track only car with your daily driver.
every 1hp you add, you add 3223432 headaches if you try to daily drive it.

if you keep the car ~250whp, build it right, and dont beat the living hell out of it every day on your way to work you should have a fairly reliable setup.

Back