How much does everyone pay for motorcycle insurance?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm going to buy a bike here soon. I just have to get a job first, then we'll see how bad insurance is. I'm 21, clean record, and three driving schools. The guys at the bike shop said that insurance isn't too bad here in MD as long as you've got a clean record, and have insured a bike before.

It all depends, at 21 I was paying high 30s for my CBR600

I dont think its state but rather company.

Just get on the phone and start calling around for quotes.

YAh old threads back to life.

about 70/mo full coverage with progressive, i don't remember what my deductible was. with my 1998 GS500E

I pay about 50 month for the rex liability only, with USAA.

Being 22 doesnt help. i keep hearing it was 24 or 25 rates should decrease

I also had some drivers Ed class here in PA.

I have a clean driving record with 1 speeding ticket about 2 years ago, warrant out for my arrest in Australia :ph34r:, and my Metro was rear ended by some chick last summer, her fault, I was stopped, she never hit the brakes. Grand Ammed!

Last edited:
YAh old threads back to life.

about 70/mo full coverage with progressive, i don't remember what my deductible was.

I pay about 50 month for the rex liability only, with USAA.

I have a clean driving record with 1 speeding ticket about 2 years ago, warrant out for my arrest in Australia :ph34r:, and my Metro was rear ended by some chick last summer, her fault, I was stopped, she never hit the brakes. Grand Ammed!

And still people keep posting insurance premiums of their cars. Amazing.

only because the 2 companies have a sort of agreement, in this case, usaa doesnt offer motorcycle insurance

kinda like having 2 cars under the same plan, but if you take separate companies you end up paying more.

like if you have geico for one car and progressive for another you will be paying X for car A and Z for car B

but more insurance companies if you stack cars, will give a rate for X for car A and percentage of Z. So you end up paying less.

It's a little hard to drive both cars at the same time, same goes for bikes.

only because the 2 companies have a sort of agreement, in this case, usaa doesnt offer motorcycle insurance.

BULLSHIT.

I've insured two bikes through USAA.

EDIT: One was even when I didn't have my car insured through them.

wow. i have to check into that. they offer it through progressive.
They basically passed me off over there when I called to update my policy, and basically they gave them the information. Maybe its just a Pennsylvania thing?

All I can say is you guys are LUCKY.

When I had the 93 Civic SEDAN, I started for $94 per month just liability clean and brand new right after I got my license.

Then I got in a wreck hit a brand new chrysler 300 (cost almost $5,000 to fix it but I left mine how it was) and now I have to pay over $200/month just for liability no matter what I drive, that was on the Civic after the wreck and now I'm still paying that monthly on my Accord.

wow. i have to check into that. they offer it through progressive.
They basically passed me off over there when I called to update my policy, and basically they gave them the information. Maybe its just a Pennsylvania thing?

Maybe you're right. PA roads suck so bad that they won't insure a bike.

On another note. I think I'm not allowed to negative rep anymore, because I can't neg-rep the last person who just posted their CAR's INSURANCE PREMIUM IN THE MOTORCYCLE FORUM

This post is meant for motorcycle insurance rates, not for car rates.

Also when I started driving at 18 my insurance was about 110 a month for liability only on a 1990 CRX. Being under 18 is not going to help your case, and definitely not if you wreck at your fault. So its not really a case of luck, its a case of responsible driving.

Also I must agree, Pennsylvania roads suck. Even worse in Pittsburgh than they did in Baltimore.

On another note. I think I'm not allowed to negative rep anymore, because I can't neg-rep the last person who just posted their CAR's INSURANCE PREMIUM IN THE MOTORCYCLE FORUM

Nope but you COULD try not being a tight ass because I just saw it in my unread threads and made a mistake :).

Didn't give you negative rep, I'm just saying ^^.

96 busa when i lived in ny, 66m/o, i have reckless driving, carless driving, and 2 speeding tickets, for my civic 98 2d DX 122m/o just basic.... bike was gicco w/e it is, and now iam with state farm.

96 busa when i lived in ny, 66m/o, i have reckless driving, carless driving, and 2 speeding tickets, for my civic 98 2d DX 122m/o just basic.... bike was gicco w/e it is, and now iam with state farm.

Don't care about the car.

Was that with full coverage on the bike? What liability levels? I find it hard to believe that your boosah was only 66/mo.

388/yr for 04 Ninja 250, 03 Ninja 250, 82 GS1100, and 71 Yamaha CT1

SW Missouri. Clean record.

Usaa told me the exact same thing "NO bike insurance!" the cheapest quote i've had for my '06 600rr was 400 a month full coverage through state farm....way too much! i was rocking liability for 80 a month through progressive...I'm selling the beast now my car is MUCH faster and way more comfortable. even that's still 180 a month through USAA.

full coverage full libility, why is that hard to belive my katana 650 was 59$ m/o, it depends on age to.
Palm, meet face...
260/year liability. Then again my bike does 90 max and take 2 minutes to get there on a downward slope. I really want a cbr, but i'm afraid of insurance on it, and I'm supposed to be getting my dads sportster this summer... I'll update if I remember.

P.S. I'm with Progressive.

Last edited:
I believe I was paying about $400 a year liability on the Ninja 600 when i was 18/19 with a dirty record...
That was also 10 years ago.

Insurance companies vary by state, so there is a good chance USAA does not cover cycles in PA.

Back