How much does it cost?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nofxSOHCcrx

So I've been working on my car for the past month TRYING to figure out what the hell is wrong with it. I think I'm going to take it to a local mechanic, and see if they can diagnos the problem, so I can fix it. How much do you think it will cost?

Well...here we go.

Driving down the road one day, when I start to give it some gas, it starts to bog out, and doesn't want to go for a second.

Get it home, have a look, and eventually throughout the month replaced these:

Distributor
o2 sensor
IAVC

After I put those on, it ran much better, my thread for the car is

https://hondaswap.com/civic-crx-ef/cant-figure-out-my-problem-so-heres-vid-287888/

The vid is from before I put the new distributor and IACV on, idle is perfect and everything, just now it does the bogging out thing. I can get through the whole RPM range by easing through it. If I give it too much gas, it bogs and bucks, but doesn't throw a code. I'm starting to think TPS, but not sure because wouldn't that throw a code? It's sohc zc non-vtec.

Also, maybe something in the fuel delivery under load?

Bad MAP or TPS don't always throw a code. As long as they send some sort of signal, the ECU would think they're fine. If you can, get a Helms manual and use the flow chart to diagnose the MAP and TPS sensor.

To me, it sounds like it may be a fuel related issue. Fuel filter and pump good?

Bad MAP or TPS don't always throw a code. As long as they send some sort of signal, the ECU would think they're fine. If you can, get a Helms manual and use the flow chart to diagnose the MAP and TPS sensor.

To me, it sounds like it may be a fuel related issue. Fuel filter and pump good?

That was the next thing I'm going to check...I should have checked those first seeing as they are probably cheaper than the IACV and Dizzy. But fuck it...now I got new ones :D

replace the fuel filter

I'll see if I can get one from Kragen when I get off at 8 tonight. I think I'll get a main relay too. It doesn't seem to work everytime I turn the car on.

Yeah; the solders from the factory eventually go bad(this is due to cold joints). Just remove the old solder(using a desoldering tool or wick), and put new solder on there. As good as new and will probably last longer than if you were to by a used one.

Yeah; the solders from the factory eventually go bad(this is due to cold joints). Just remove the old solder(using a desoldering tool or wick), and put new solder on there. As good as new and will probably last longer than if you were to by a used one.

can you explain using a wick? Don't really want to buy something else, and I already have a soldering tool.

Here's a nice write-up on that issue: MarkLamond.co.uk - PGM-Fi - Main Relay

Very nice. Thank you.

A wick, or desoldering braid; is just a piece of braided copper. You press it on top of the solder with the soldering iron; thus melting the solder and pulling the solder into the copper braid.

this sounds kinda like how my car acts, not to be a thread jacker. But when im at half tank my throttle starts to cut out and i have to like pump my throttle for it to maintain an idle.. ive had it just die on me driving down the road. Im gonna watch this thread.. maybe itll be of some use to me.
Good luck on fixing it!

A wick, or desoldering braid; is just a piece of braided copper. You press it on top of the solder with the soldering iron; thus melting the solder and pulling the solder into the copper braid.

Thanks for the info. Going to go pull off my main relay right now. Another question. With the main relay, is it ONLY used to start the car, or is it used to deliver voltage to the fuel pump while your driving? Thanks again. WISH ME LUCK!

O.K. soldered the main relay, now the pump kicks on everytime I turn the car to on. Perfect. I start it up, goes to it's normal starting idle, 2k, then after about 15 seconds just flat out dies. Could this be the fuel filter? I'm getting one from Kragen tomorrow, was going to get one tonight. The asshole told me they were open till 9, I got off at 8, and showed up at 8:30, they were closed. What a dick. If it's not the fuel filter, where should I go from there? I can hear the fuel pump kicking on, so I'm pretty sure that it is good. I'll search on how to test injectors, unless someone feels like typing it up. Thanks for all the help.

Oh, BTW. I started it a second time, and rev'd it a little to keep it going and some black smoke was coming out the exhaust. Do I need to adjust the Dizzy?

try changin the spark pluggs its the least expensive thing and usaly the most common problem had same problem whit my old crx the engine started to jump and dying out when i gave it gas i changed the spark plugg and tada the engine was back to normal but dude it might also be your distrubuter to

by the way just saw your video and your engine is missfireing big time might be the dizzy afterall try to find a cheap one from the junkyard if you dont want to spend money on a new one

replace the fuel filter
Gracias Senor. It was the problem. Much Thanks.

Just have someone resolder the main relay; it's much cheaper than replacing it.

Man, this was easy as pie, and no time at all, and very cheap. $5.99 for some soldering wire, and used my g-mas soldering gun.

So after it all I replaced:

Dizzy (new)............|
IACV(new) ...........> These fixed my car
Fuel Filter(new)..... |
Re-Solered my Main Relay

Cat Back exhaust(new)............ |
O2 Sensor(new)...................... |
Vacuum box from SI (used) ......> All for REF purposes.
Catalytic Converter (new)........ |

Thanks for everyone's help. Much appreciated, I'll do some write ups on these small things for searching purposes and such.

Back