how much for total job?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pakofan

Hey guys, i'm brand new to this board, and i've noticed that there's a lot of guys who are quite knowledgeable on the topic of engine swapping. I've always liked hondas, have a spec v right now, and i'm looking for something that will spin a little higher and give a little more driving gratification. I tried doing some searching for this, but couldn't quite find what i'm looking for, so here it is;
i'm looking to buy a 96-00 cx hatchback, swap in a b16 and tranny, give it decent suspension; just the performance things, all the cosmetics can come later. Is there anythign else i will need? motor mounts, clutch, flywheel, exhaust...?? I'd greatly appreciate a list of what parts are needed, and if possible a break-down of all prices(including installation, my technical ability is limited to stereo installs) and where i can get the stuff for cheap. How much should i expect to pay for this entrie job? i've seen a lot of people give lots of diff. opinions on which engine to use, but i find for some reason the b16(i don't know which letter) out of the 99-00 si to be the best, due to available parts and known durability. I'm guessing it will run something like this;
car $5500
motor/tranny.. $2500 ??
other stuff for swap??
suspension $700-800?
anything else?

does $11,000-12,000 sound decent, is that too much to pay for a civic hatchback, should i look for another car.
I also am wondering how this car will hold up? are there any major problems people ever get with this job? I know hondas are generally bulletproof, but is this project a worry? Will i be overpowering the car with this motor with future mods in it(NA)? Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance

doing it yourself- the prices sound ok... maybe even a little low depending on what you get.
expect 3k for the motor, after shipping
replacing the clutch, water pump, timing, belt, muisc hose, belts or anythign else that isn't 100% adds up fast too... so call it 3500
suspension- depends what you get... 100-5000

if you're paying some shop to do all this for you, tack on 2-3 grand

labor should be in the 750-1300 range. don't pay more than 1300 for labor.

obviously if your replacing the headgasket, timing belt, pumps then it's goign to be a little more but not a whole lot since the motor is already out of the car, clutch and flywheel install should be free since it literally takes 10-20 minutes to do when they recieve the tranny apart from the motor.

so including all the labor... is $14,000 more of a realistic price, or is that a little on the conservative side?

always do it yourself,buy a helms.I only pay for things the tools cost a fortune for.

EDIT.I still dont know much but I'm learning and it's interesting,as good as the history channel :D

get a car that you can get the b16a1 to work in ,since the motor and tranny and stuff is around $1300---than you can get an little older model car and not have to pay as much for it and the swap will be cheaper.Then all u are spending is $1500-$2000 on the car and another $1600 after shipping for the motor ---this is just my opinion since you dont have the car yet---I dont know ---what does everyone else think of this idea

werd...spend $2500 on a 92-95 civic, get a gsr $3500. get a nice tien coilover suspension system $1000 (?), and some progress sway bars $150-200, cheap ebay strut bars ($30), some rotas and nices set of azenis $800 and nice exhaust $400. Save yourself some money and have a faster torqueyer car.

I dunno maybe i got the prices wrong, i didnytknow how to word the suspension system crap either. I don't want to mislead in anyway so..lets stick with 10 gs on a 92-95 civic with a gsr and a good suspension setup.

Not to put you down or anything but for 12k you could have yourself something that is naturally fast without all the work like a 300zx or something like that. All that money will make a damn nice Civic, but it requires some work, Id recommend something else, unless of course you have some kind of fascination with Civics and/or would like to have a nice built up car that you built up yourself.

if i had 12k just layin' around i dont think i would've ever bought a honda, much less a civic.

240 for 2k, sr20det for around 4 or so

Originally posted by pakofan@Dec 6 2003, 08:52 PM
Hey guys, i'm brand new to this board, and i've noticed that there's a lot of guys who are quite knowledgeable on the topic of engine swapping. I've always liked hondas, have a spec v right now, and i'm looking for something that will spin a little higher and give a little more driving gratification. I tried doing some searching for this, but couldn't quite find what i'm looking for, so here it is;
i'm looking to buy a 96-00 cx hatchback, swap in a b16 and tranny, give it decent suspension; just the performance things, all the cosmetics can come later. Is there anythign else i will need? motor mounts, clutch, flywheel, exhaust...?? I'd greatly appreciate a list of what parts are needed, and if possible a break-down of all prices(including installation, my technical ability is limited to stereo installs) and where i can get the stuff for cheap. How much should i expect to pay for this entrie job? i've seen a lot of people give lots of diff. opinions on which engine to use, but i find for some reason the b16(i don't know which letter) out of the 99-00 si to be the best, due to available parts and known durability. I'm guessing it will run something like this;
car $5500
motor/tranny.. $2500 ??
other stuff for swap??
suspension $700-800?
anything else?

does $11,000-12,000 sound decent, is that too much to pay for a civic hatchback, should i look for another car.
I also am wondering how this car will hold up? are there any major problems people ever get with this job? I know hondas are generally bulletproof, but is this project a worry? Will i be overpowering the car with this motor with future mods in it(NA)? Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance

where you located and I might be able to hook you up if your local.

Originally posted by civicious@Dec 13 2003, 12:05 AM
if i had 12k just layin' around i dont think i would've ever bought a honda, much less a civic.

240 for 2k, sr20det for around 4 or so

:werd: :withstupid:

Back