How much header wrap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wanderinman

I am planning on buying some header wrap to wrap my greddy headers, just curious if anyone knows about how much wrap to buy? Not gunna need this again anytime soon, so I dont want to buy too much.

how wide is the wrap?

what you want to do is measure the diameter of the header pipe... divide it by 2 to get the radius...

circumference = 2*pi*r

then measure how long you want to wrap it... call that "h"

2pi*r*h is the surface area of what you need to cover... so figure that out.. multiply is by 1.5 or since you will overlap that shit as you wrap it for a good seal...

retains the heat so it doesn't saturate the engine bay... not really necessary in my opinion... i assume you asked the question knowing what the header wrap was for and were just asking why someone would do that right?? lol

^ pills you hit the nail on the head.

I was wondering why he wanted to waste his time. Yes it helps reduce under hood temps, but condensation between the header wrap and the header becomes a problem. also condensation on the inside of the header can be a problem as well.

I always say if you want to lower under hood temps and are thinking about header wrap do it right the first time and have it ceramic coated inside and out.

Combination of cooling the engine bay and gaining a slight amount of exhaust efficiency (less heat loss = less velocity loss of exhaust charge). However, I had never heard of condensation problems with the header wrap. I'll have to look into that.

Also, where would I go to get a header ceramic coated, and would it be cheaper to just buy a ceramic header to begin with?

Back