How much paint?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMPlaya

what's up,

I was wondering if any of you knew how much paint I would need to have my friends body kit painted, he has the front bumper, rear & side skirts.

Thanks

i would get at least 2 quarts of coemough reducer/primer/etc. to mix with it. better to have too much than too little.

matt

2 quarts should be more than enough if your using PPG.

Consult your local automotive paint store, they will probably know best, however two quarts does sound like a safe amount.

There is way too many factors, such as:
Color of parts being painted, if your going from a light primer color to black its going to need more coats.
The brand of paint, different brands have different levels of reducers, hardeners etc. EX. some PPG basecoat can be reduced as much as 1:2, meaning you'll need 1 quart of base and 1 quart of reducer.
Are the parts going to be sealed? (will reduce amount of basecoat needed)
I also would recommend going to your local supply store and asking them these questions, they get them all the time.

if the paint ias mixed 1:1 than a quart should be more than enough being that mixed it will make 2 quarts...that should be plenty because 2 quarts unreduced will generally paint a whole car. And as far as price goes it all depends on what kind of paint your gonna use and what quality paint you want.

:concur:

You could probably get by with one quart plus reducer. Having the gun set up properly will have a lot to do with that. If you are shooting a water weenie, you'll burn up the paint. If you cut the gun back to a mist, you'll conserve paint, and end up with one big orange peel effect. Set the gun a little on the light side, and be careful to apply a nice wet looking coat. Takes practice, but anything can be buffed out. I think base clear is easier on the beginner. Apply the color. Apply more than enough clear over several coats, and buff a few days later. A lot easier to fix than single stage, just more hassle.

Base clear, you'll need more clear than base.

well i dont know how much u think you need but ive been doing collision repair and refinishing for 5 yrs now and ive painted COUNTLESS cars with only 2 quarts of basecoat.....so i dont know what to tell u, but thats just how it is

You are probably using a gravity fed gun, i'm using a siphon fed and i have painted COUNTLESS cars also for 12 yrs so i do know what i'm doing.

well first of all you very well may kow what your doing btu a garvity feed gun isnt gonnabe that much different than a siphon feed gun its all about whether its high volume low pressure or not THAT is what saves major amounts of paint. 12 yrs later if youve been successful at all in what you do you may want to consider purchasing a gravity fed HVLP gun and save yourself some serious material costs, because if its taking u much more than 2 quarts for a whole car than your wasting serious money.

I do need an HVLP gun i agree because it takes me right at 3-3.5 quarts to do a vehicle but that is something like a full size pickup or a Chevelle or something big like that.

Most of the new guns that I've seen are HVLP. My gun, I should mention, is also gravity feed HVLP. I can't see why anyone would use a gun that wasted that much more paint. The paint cost alone would negate the extra cost of your new equipment. <_<

Back