1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much should I take off my flywheel ??

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Carnage, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Carnage

Carnage Junior Member

90 hb.
    Im planing on taking out my 88 clutch and tranny and flywheel from my d16z6 swap and upgrading to a 91 clutch, tranny and flywheel, Im wondering how much I can shave off my flywheel, I dont want to effect the reliability in my car and I also dont want to end with blown crank bearings half way threw the summer.

2. hondadude199

hondadude199 New Member

I know im not answering your question but if you need a clutch and flywheel, I have one.

3. Civic_88ls

Civic_88ls Senior Member

u want to be careful with how much u shave. on my civic i had, the integra flywheel i had was shaved down to about 12 pounds. i dont know exactly how much it was tho.

4. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

I wouldn't do anything under 12lbs, and make sure it's balanced also, that is key.

I would suggest just buying a fidanza, shit htey only cost under 300 bucks

5. cws13

cws13 Senior Member

:ditto:

6. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

:Word: fidanza makes a badass flywheel, go any weight you want just make sure it's balanced. I think the stock d series flywheel weights like 18 lbs, I personally would perfer an 12 lb flywheel as well.

7. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

don't get me wrong, if done right it will hold up no problem.

I ran a GSr lightened flywheel for about a year, weighed in at 12.5lbs and was balanced, I can't stress the importance of balancing it.

Would if I were in your shoes I would go with the fidanza

8. hybrid89

hybrid89 thistownsucks...

I had problems with my idle dropping to 400-500k with a 8.8 lb flywheel on my b16A in my rex when evr I came to a fast stop. After 8 months, I blew the flywheel off the crank and trashed it. I went back to the stock flywheel and It went away. my feelings are, in a NA motor setup, you need some weight in the rotating mass. I yes I agree with the balancing part. I consider it a must. I just picked up an ACT streetlite 12.5 lb bastard that s going to go on my lsvtec. I think that will put me where I want for weight. just somn' to consider...

matt

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted