How Much To Lower+please Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

maze1978

Hey peeps..im all kinda new at this....have a 99Dx-hatchback..putting some 16"-204/40 on...how much should i lower-i dont want it too low....just a nice look!1.5"lowering springs or over 2"??

Thanx! :D

lower the car with ground control coil overs with koni yellow shocks, or if you want a spring set up get skunk2 springs and kyb agx shocks both good combo, the coil overs are adjustable and the springs arnt that low good luck

can i keep my stock shocks if i just lower my civic 1.5"with springs only?
Im getting people that say ill be bouncing all over(which i dont want to) and others saying it will be fine....

Thanx! :worthy:

If you lower the car 1.5 then stock shocks will last for a while...given that they are fairly new and aren't worn out. I would recommend replacing them when you get a chance if you plan on lowering the car anyway. I've got Neuspeed Sports on my Teg, and so far have had no problems with the stock shocks, but I can tell I need to get some new ones soon.

U think ill end up with a bouncy ride with stock shocks?I seriously dont want that.....
I have about 45K on the stock shocks..... :unsure:

i put close to 200,000 miles on my neuspeed springs (1.8" drop) with stock shocks... i switched to teins and they are night and day. but, i was surprised the ride was not that bad for how many miles i had on them, i was shocked! (pun intended :p)

stock shocks suck. get koni's are kyb's.

if your looking for a really smooth ride, smootehr then stock, get sprint springs and tokico blues..

I've got H&Rs (1.75"F and 1.5" R) on my 98 LX Sedan with stock shocks (77k miles on the car)... It's been lowered for about a month or so... no trampoline bounce. It's starting to rub in the rear when going around corners when I have more than one person in the car though :( . Probably just about time for new shocks...

i would get coilovers so you can adjust the height to whatever you want. ground controls are good. coilovers are usually only about $100-$150 more than springs (per set of 4). i heard skunk2 and neuspeed coilovers are good too. look for ones that are made from T6061 aluminum.

coilovers naturally ride stiffer/bouncier than just springs because the springs in the coilovers are shorter, but you get to adjust your ride height, and accurately balance your car if you are going to do any autocrossing.

stock shocks should be ok with a 1.5" drop (whether with springs or coilovers)...but they will wear out faster because of the increased heat generated by the shorter/stiffer suspension. stock shocks are filled with fluid, while aftermarket shocks are filled with gas (so they arent susceptible to alot of heat build-up, making them last alot longer)

Get Sprint Springs at a 1.5". Make it too low, and you will have, as what my friends call it, a "mexacanized ride." Lowering it 1.5" will make it look nice.

Whenever you lower tho, dont forget the extreme camber kit... unless u wanna go through tires like your mom goes through rubbers.... :lol: j/p but ya to much drop on stock camber=lots of wear on tires.

Thanx guys-Went with the sprint springs..1.5" drop and im happy.
I'd add a picture but not sure how....

A little secret if you can get a hold of 99 or 00 si shocks they are progressive rated like type rs and there are probably a lot of them lying around for pocket change or a cheesy gordita crunch meal. Then what you want to do is find some aftermarket springs that are progressive rated like sprints then they wont be figting each other and your car will handle awsome, look killer and you wont spill your drink on the local cement interstate. NOT MANY CARS COME WITH THESE SHOCKS they are considered by sume as smart metal they cange rates due to diffrent bumps. If you dont match them they wont work the way they were desinged.

what a lot of people don't realize is that u should not need a camber kit unless u go lower than 2.75in. so at 1.5 you're all gravy and with that extra negative camber you will be putting more contact rubber down on the outside so you can defi gravity. Have fun and look into better tires and other suspension components

My 'lude has Neuspeed Race springs/KYB AGX and urethane bushings w/ no camber kit.

It eats tires and rides like a covered wagon...but damn she sticks!!! It's only driven occasionally, so I can get away with it.

Peace, Theron <_<

Back