How much would you charge.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

efhondakid

My name is Byron.
This girl that my girlfriend works with wants me to swap the motor in her 00' Civic. She blew up the one thats in it now, and has a replacement, (same motor, same year) So what it amounts to is pull the old motor and drop the new one in. She said she would give me $200 cash to do it, and hopefully its the B16 so I can have an extra.:D Does this seem reasonable for about a days worth of work?

nope...shops charge about 800 to do a direct replacement

whenever i do any work,what i usually do is tell them to go find out how much a shop would charge and ill do it for half that

it will take me a lot longer than 2 hours to do a swap like this, so therefor $200 is not worth my time :)

when I read this title I thought it was gonna be about your gf and some sort of indecent proposal scenario. Damn was I wrong!

for everything in life there is a threshold where headache/bs plane crosses money plane, that is where the price should be.

nope...shops charge about 800 to do a direct replacement

whenever i do any work,what i usually do is tell them to go find out how much a shop would charge and ill do it for half that

Exactly what I was going to say. Tell her to get a quote, cut the price in half, and do it. You don't want to drum up alot of business that isn't going to make you any real money.

I enjoy working on my stuff. I absolutely loath working on other people's cars. If you really just want to turn some wrenches, have at it. But remember, if its a crap motor, has wiring problems, broken sensors, low compression, whatever, you get to fix that crap as well. Another thing to remember is that shops have insurance. If your cherry picker blows a 10 cent "o" ring and smashes her radiator support, you get the bill.

How much

I would say $ 200.00 out and $200.00 in. Plus you tell her you would get rid of the old motor.keep what you can use trash the rest

$200 to pull out a motor and put the same motor back in,
that is def. not worth it to me,but its your deal,so i say take whatever you want

Ok so she told me $200 some beer and pizza, I cant turn it down, and if its the Si coupe Ill be stoked on getting a spare B16. I know its a pretty cheap price, but I have all the shit to be able to easily knock it out in less than a day so I cant turn it down.

I know its a pretty cheap price, but I have all the shit to
be able to easily knock it out in less than a day so I cant turn it down.

Is she letting you keep the old motor? If so, the price you would have paid for the motor would have evened out in what you could have charged her...And now you get extra parts and a chance to rebuild something for sale or personal use.

Did you ever find out if it was the B16?

Ok so she told me $200 some beer and pizza, I cant turn it down, and if its the Si coupe Ill be stoked on getting a spare B16. I know its a pretty cheap price, but I have all the shit to be able to easily knock it out in less than a day so I cant turn it down.

Good choice! :thumbsup: The added bonus of being able to keep the old motor makes up for the low cost of labor, in my opinion...

I dont know if its the B16 or not, I was supposed to do it last weekend but she flaked out, so its going to be this weekend.

Well we picked up the motor from her today, its a Y7, I havent seen the other motor (the one in the car) Hopefully it doesnt have a hole in the block, cause I have an extra Z6 head at my mom and dads, so you know what that means,:D I just need a car to put it in.:(

I'd say throw out $400 and she how she reacts... also find out what you swaping... Like you said... if its a B16 keep the old motor and knock off $100

Back