How should i repair the body????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

I have a question for anyone who actually has experience doing body work. My '71 Chevy i just got has some shit on it that i would like to fix, just some dents and dings. I do not want to use Bondo becaus i have seen how it falls off or gives really shitty results if not done correctly, but if that is best then i will use it.

My question is, after i pull the dents, is fiberglass mat and resin good to use to repair the dents? I also looked at the Bondo and it said not to use it in layers thicker than 1/16 inch, then after that layer dries, sand it and do another layer, repeating until it is the right thickness. Will this method keep it from falling out like it does a lot of times. I always see people with that shit where it is all cracked and pieces of the Bondo are missing, that is actually how one of my fenders is right now.

I know that buying new fenders is the best way to get rid of the dents, and i plan to do that sooner or later. this is basically just gonna be for right now, but i still want it to look good.

hey man i just did a 69 chev for the little sis.
first i recomend you go get the truck bead blasted to remove all paint old bond and rust.
as for pulling dents all you do is pull it out and use a hammer and die to remove the edges. Next use a flaper wheel to rough up the sheet metal then use a light weight body filler like (shit forgot name) the snad with a 1.5' block you can use bondo to a maximum thickness of 1/8 inch and no more.

cool, around how much did it cost to have the shit blasted. I have access to a sandblaster, but it is up where i used to live, not here in San Diego. Did you use all the original body panels, or did you buy some replacements? Also, whats a flapper wheel, i think i know what you are talking about, but not sure

Back