How stiff should I run?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

I'm working on a deal with some Illuminas and GC's. However, the GC's are 180.64.44's which translate to a 250lb/in. Isn't this REALLY low? I want AutoX performance, not drop (i'll only be going down 1-2").

What would be an ideal rate to run on Illuminas? Also, where can I get the Eibach springs to go with the GC's if I want to upgrade to stiffer springs? Thanks for the help.

-Kai

No they're on the front. I have the front (Tokicos) set to 4 and the rear at five.

That sounds like it would be just about perfect, especially with a good set of sways.

Does anyone know where I can get just the springs for the GC kit...because I think 250lb/in is WAY too soft. Isn't that almost stock?

Originally posted by ktanaka@Oct 30 2004, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know where I can get just the springs for the GC kit...because I think 250lb/in is WAY too soft. Isn't that almost stock?
[post=409710]Quoted post[/post]​

Order straight from ground control and you can buy what ever spring rate that you want.

i used to love my skunks and how stiff they were, but since ive had the tanabes i realsied that matching shocks is just as important. Mine are something like 350 in the front and 260 in the rear. 6kg Front and 4kg rear. when i first converted it, i thought it was crazy low, but the car handles better with these then it did with the skunks.

-Chris

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Oct 30 2004, 12:15 PM-->
That sounds like it would be just about perfect, especially with a good set of sways.
[post=409577]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup. It feels damn good. Come to Houston and I'll give you a ride. :)

BlackFrog
@Nov 4 2004, 05:16 PM
i used to love my skunks and how stiff they were, but since ive had the tanabes i realsied that matching shocks is just as important. Mine are something like 350 in the front and 260 in the rear. 6kg Front and 4kg rear. when i first converted it, i thought it was crazy low, but the car handles better with these then it did with the skunks.
[post=412155]Quoted post[/post]​

Having shocks that match your spring rates is very important.

how come street cars are stiffer in the front, but race cars are stiffer in the back(like the btcc ctr; 500lb-f,1000lb-r)

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Nov 4 2004, 09:37 PM
how come street cars are stiffer in the front, but race cars are stiffer in the back(like the btcc ctr; 500lb-f,1000lb-r)
[post=412304]Quoted post[/post]​

easy. Its a hell of a lot easier for retarded drivers to control a car that pushes vs having a car that gets its ass end out. Also, diffrent teams have diffrent spring settings. Some run stiffer fronts, others stiffer rears. Also, you have to also look at their anti roll bars.

Personally I would go for a stiffer spring....somewhere around 400lbs. I would go lighter in the rear for an everyday driver and stiffer for an all out Auto-X'er.

Then a good set of sway bars (best suspention upgrade you can get). GC's are a great coilover, but you gotta ditch the illumina's.......Koni Yellows own for Auto-X bar-none in terms of a straight shock.

Ground Controls, Koni Yellows, and some sway bars are a great Auto-X setup.

We'll I'm just getting started, and there is NO way I can afford Konis. I ended up buying the setup becuase it was only $400 for the GC's and the Illuminas. I would much rather go Koni, but $600 for just the shocks is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE (i'm poor, in college, and DONT have a job.)

It's all good man.....work with whatever you've got. I'm a poor-bastard college student too...I know what you're going through..lol.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Nov 5 2004, 04:20 PM
We'll I'm just getting started, and there is NO way I can afford Konis. I ended up buying the setup becuase it was only $400 for the GC's and the Illuminas. I would much rather go Koni, but $600 for just the shocks is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE (i'm poor, in college, and DONT have a job.)
[post=412730]Quoted post[/post]​

Illuminas will still match the GCs very well. You'll be pretty happy with that setup, even with the low spring rate- it's still about twice as stiff as the factory springs.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Nov 4 2004, 08:45 PM-->
@Nov 4 2004, 09:37 PM
[post=412304]Quoted post[/post]​

easy. Its a hell of a lot easier for retarded drivers to control a car that pushes vs having a car that gets its ass end out. Also, diffrent teams have diffrent spring settings. Some run stiffer fronts, others stiffer rears. Also, you have to also look at their anti roll bars.
[post=412307]Quoted post[/post]​

depends on the type of racing.

drag- you get less speing dip and a better launch.

autox, a happy tail makes for faster times with the right driver.

personally, im a big fan of the 8k/6k combo.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 10 2004, 09:36 AM
personally, im a big fan of the 8k/6k combo.
[post=414646]Quoted post[/post]​

I thought you liked it a LOT stiffer than that!

Back