How the hell do i get credit????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

apply for a credit car visa or master card only find one with a reasonable apr or if you want credit just say f@!# it and eventually youll be apporved but to build credit you habe to have money in the bank and DONT MISS A PAYMENT OR BE LATE FOR ONE then your credit is shot for a wile

Do those credit checking websites really work? Or are they just trying to collect your information so they can sell it? I've also heard rumors about your credit score going down then you check it, I can't believe that's possible, but I guess those sneaky bastards can pretty much do whatever they want.

Do those credit checking websites really work? Or are they just trying to collect your information so they can sell it? I've also heard rumors about your credit score going down then you check it, I can't believe that's possible, but I guess those sneaky bastards can pretty much do whatever they want.
if you check your credit score it will not drop it. if your credit is run for application purposes (credit card, auto loan, home loan) it will drop your score.

i get 10-20 credit card offers a month easy... and i have damn good credit.

w3rd.

Credit companies like regular payers who make full payments, to sure up the monies lost to delinquent payers.

A credit company would not successfully function if it did not have regular payers to use their assets to float the cost of delinquent payers.

Credit score = a history of reported payments.

if you check your credit score it will not drop it. if your credit is run for application purposes (credit card, auto loan, home loan) it will drop your score.

Very true. I really screwed my credit when I first got out of college and have been working towards getting it back up. I used the MyFICO.com site monthly to check my scores as I was told it is the most accurate site out there. You pay for it but it does not damage your score in any way. It does however damage your score when you have multipe applications or inqueryies (sp?) in a short period of time. Apparently it does not look good.

I found this out when my wife and I just purchased our home. My score dropped a little because we had pre qual letters from three different lenders, I put her on my cell phone plan, set her up on my insurance, and I think the utilities were on it too. I asked my lender about it and he said that it was only like 10 points lower and that as soon as we started to make our house payment it would sky rocket. So don't go out and go nuts applying everywhere under the sun.

I started with a card to Old Navy and used that for a couple of months. Then I applied for my CU's card. I had a little help as I had a car loan as well. One other option is to have a family member add your name to their card as an authorized user. They don't even have to give you a card. Your name will be attached to the card and you will start a credit history with them. Just be sure it is someone you trust because it goes both ways if they start to miss payments it will also hurt your score.

As of this year, that multiple checking thing is NOT true. Well, 07 anyway. They pile up all of the inquiries into one as "Multiple mortgage inquiries" or the like.

As of this year, that multiple checking thing is NOT true. Well, 07 anyway. They pile up all of the inquiries into one as "Multiple mortgage inquiries" or the like.

This has been the case for as long as I can remember. If you make multiple inquiries in a short timespan, like say financing a car, they lump all of the inquiries into one. Its when you make multiple inquiries over a longer timespan than your credit really begins to be affected.

Mine were over the course of a month and a half and it DID affect my score by like 10 points or so. Two were lenders, 1 was insurance, 1 was cell phone, 1 was utilities, 1 was ATT, and 1 was Direct TV. My lender showed it to me.

Mine were over the course of a month and a half and it DID affect my score by like 10 points or so. Two were lenders, 1 was insurance, 1 was cell phone, 1 was utilities, 1 was ATT, and 1 was Direct TV. My lender showed it to me.

Thats common. In a lender inquiry, your credit score normally drops a few points. What we were saying, or at least as I was saying and I believe Steve was saying, is that they won't drop you points for each inquiry - they group inquiries together.

Financing a car and contacting multiple lenders would count as one inquiry or shopping for mortgages would count as one inquiry for instance. Your score would only be lowered once.

I was always under the impression that when you run a credit report like FICA your score is charged a few points but that was said to be incorrect here. I'll have to research that issue. Its a moot point because the amount of points your score is lowered is minimal.

There's a 30 day period where they group like inquiries together (e.g. mortgages, car loans, etc.).

Oh and lastly, for those of you who are paying off your CREDIT cards each month, why aren't you utilizing a CHARGE card instead? AMEX has the best benefits and if need be, a balance can be carried for a small % as compared to most credit cards.

Oh and lastly, for those of you who are paying off your CREDIT cards each month, why aren't you utilizing a CHARGE card instead? AMEX has the best benefits and if need be, a balance can be carried for a small % as compared to most credit cards.

1) To build credit
2) I still get 3% back on certain purchases, including gas
3) My credit cards are accepted everywhere
4) I can pay them off in full, so I do but I always have the option to carry a small balance.

Back