How the hell do you wetsand?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
What do I do, just slosh water on the car and sand away?

Well, i think it may depend on in part what you are wet sanding. In my auto body class when we wet sand primer/surfacer it basically is using a block with #500 sandpaper and keeping whatever you are sanding wet. I see some kids in the class keeping a constant supply of water on what they are working (ie taping a hose to the top of the area they are working on) but it usually worked well enough for me to simply work with hose in one hand and block in the other and wet the area down every 15-25 seconds. Just be super careful about sanding too hard because paint/primer isnt terribly thick and can be sanded right off. hope that helps

get a squirt bottle and a bucket of water. Simply soak your paper in the water and squirt the area u are sanding with the squitrtbottle. Use the squirtbottle to keep the area wet. occasionally check the area by wpiping it off with a sponge and drying it with compressed air and a few paper towels...then you will be able to see how much clear you have sanded off and how much further u need to go. and in all honety i was under the impression your car was a flat silver or something because i have yet to see a pic youve posted where it looks shinny....so i guess orange peel does own you....good luck, you will be sanding for a GOOD while...plan on have a FULL day in this

Yeah...it's not supposed to be flat...I just haven't gotten my lazy ass around to wetsanding it.

I, personally, think i did a decent job of painting it though. The orange peel isn't too bad...its just not quite shiny yet

:D

edit: i think i did decent considering that i've never used a gun before, much less painted a car.

no matter how hard you try, unless conditions are 100% ideal like having a top of the line booth with infinitely variable climate controls and all top of the line equipment, you'll always have some amount of orangepeel.

If it's not even glossy tho, I wouldn't even bother with 1500 grit- you'll be out there until your arms fall off. You'd probably be better off starting with 600 or even 400 wet. If it's bad enough i usually start with 320 grit wet with a da sander just to knock the surface down quick. Then I'll hand wet sand with fine grit ad then buff with real heavy compound.

Hope this helps at all B)

Originally posted by stmotorsports@Nov 15 2004, 10:55 PM
no matter how hard you try, unless conditions are 100% ideal like having a top of the line booth with infinitely variable climate controls and all top of the line equipment, you'll always have some amount of orangepeel.

If it's not even glossy tho, I wouldn't even bother with 1500 grit- you'll be out there until your arms fall off. You'd probably be better off starting with 600 or even 400 wet. If it's bad enough i usually start with 320 grit wet with a da sander just to knock the surface down quick. Then I'll hand wet sand with fine grit ad then buff with real heavy compound.

[post=417410]Quoted post[/post]​

WTF are you spraying houses? DO NOT use 320 grit on a painted surface, you will break through the clear or base wayyyy to easy and I dont know what magic buffing compound you have that will buff out 320 grit scratches.

Originally posted by stmotorsports@Nov 15 2004, 08:55 PM

[post=417410]Quoted post[/post]​

put the crack down

as for wet sanding i use a spray bottle with one or 2 drops of soap in it

Originally posted by swanny@Nov 15 2004, 10:26 PM
WTF are you spraying houses? DO NOT use 320 grit on a painted surface, you will break through the clear or base wayyyy to easy and I dont know what magic buffing compound you have that will buff out 320 grit scratches.
[post=417429]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jackass.

just grab some tumbling rocks and roll the paint off

Back