How tight should I screw in speakers?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
This is sorta of a dumb question & I didn't have time to finish testing it out 2nite for it is pretty late. I was wondering, say for your front speakers in the doors or any speakers for that matter when screwing them in, should they be as tight as they can be or should they be sorta half-tight to allow the speakers to reverberate. My friend likes to leave them slightly loose to reverberate.

This is assuming the speakers are installed with baffles, so their not touching directly to the door frame & has a cushion. (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4...7XT65) It seems like perhaps at higher volumes, the woofer/cone won't distort as easy & has more room to move & at lower volumes when the screws are all the way tight, the sound is tighter but may distort a tad more at higher volume (but it could be vibration from something else). Anyway I couldn't really experiment yet but wanted to get some perspective on what the audio guys do or whats "right" or "wrong".

Back