How To Become Rich

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sometimes I don't think going to school is worth it. Sometimes. I'm 17 going to be 18 in August and I start my freshmen year at college on the 25 of August. I'm enrolled in UTEP's (University at Texas at El Paso) pre engineering program. Orientation was a bitch for too many reasons to list but what hit me was the fact that there are people out there who might as well be human super computers. I placed into pre-cal, thats normal. Some of the guys next to me place into classes like Calculus III. I screwed around in high school until I met my girlfriend who graduated number 14 in our class. She convinced me to take Physics, Statistics, Advanced Placement English etc. (By the way I always had the highest grades in those classes.) If it wasn't for her I would have placed into an Algebra I class. I BARELY placed into a regular math class. I don't think I can keep up with everyone else. But I want a red 350Z real bad and I want to finish my Civic. But I'm scared of failing. Any of you guys that went through school and finished, are you guys happy? Did you get to where you wanted to be? Was it worth it? Finally, what do you drive? If you never finished school are you happy? Would you try agian if you had the chance?

Im the same way i fucked around in high school drank like 5/7 nights still managed to get a 3.0 doing nothing. went to a tech. school after high school for auto body met my girl, whos a fucking genius national deans list etc. now im feeling like i should goto a 4 year college since shes going to be in grad school. and i dont want to be one of those guys whos wife makes more than them, but i dont feel like being broke for another 4 years

To tell the truth I was jelous of my girl. That made me get off my ass.

don't feel too bad about those who got into calc III...it's really the next class after calc I. And many kids do take calc in high school, but I bet many of those kids are just going to take calc I over again.

Just stick to your guns, pass with flying colors, party a little lighter than others, and get a really nice job that you love. You'll be much happier.

I'm going to have to stop working on the Civic. Finalcial Aid paid my tuition and I really need all the time I can get to study. That means no work. I know I'm a bit slower than most people, heh. Each time I see a hooked up Honda I go crazy and say "Screw that shit, I'm going to finish my car!" It almost breaks my heart. I wasn't aiming too high, I wanted a 15 flat. :roll:

dude i know exactly what your feelinbg like i just dropped a b18c into my teg and im just getting it running, hopefully by tuesday and im getting my turbo kit in the mail any day now, and i have to start college on the 15th and i wont be able to finish my car till i get some spare time which feels like its gonna be forever, seeing as how im gonna be in school.

i am in college right now, 3rd year about to be a senior at gatech. lemme tell you, you will have time to finish your car.

college is nothing like high school i'm sure you're aware, if you have the ability to learn the stuff yourself you wont have to go to class except those that take attendences. blink182dude I bought a stock 96 hb last year and wthin a year my car is pretty finished. you'll have a chance to install your turbo as soon as you are used to the college life, plus you have christmas break.

noneed4vtec: i don't think undergraduate is that important, its more of a time when you decide what you really want to do with life. there are plenty of history/art majors who later on in grad school becomes a doctor or lawyer. What is important tho, is that you finish with a decent grade. Graduating from college separates you from the dropouts when you try to get an entry level job. I drive a 96 Civic HB. click the link below for pics. I am pretty happy with college, but just make sure you're going to college for bettering yourself, not because of your girlfriend and not for your parents.

It's not for my girlfreind anymore. Now it's because I want to be one of those rich white guys in a red 350z that I usally hate on. I want to have an income that would alow me to enjoy my hobby. Let's say in general, what kind of job would a person get, out of college, with a mechanical engineering degree. Does any one know what kinda stuff you would do in the automotive field?

Originally posted by NoNeed4VTEC@Aug 1 2003, 08:40 PM
Sometimes I don't think going to school is worth it. Sometimes. I'm 17 going to be 18 in August and I start my freshmen year at college on the 25 of August. I'm enrolled in UTEP's (University at Texas at El Paso) pre engineering program. Orientation was a bitch for too many reasons to list but what hit me was the fact that there are people out there who might as well be human super computers. I placed into pre-cal, thats normal. Some of the guys next to me place into classes like Calculus III. I screwed around in high school until I met my girlfriend who graduated number 14 in our class. She convinced me to take Physics, Statistics, Advanced Placement English etc. (By the way I always had the highest grades in those classes.) If it wasn't for her I would have placed into an Algebra I class. I BARELY placed into a regular math class. I don't think I can keep up with everyone else. But I want a red 350Z real bad and I want to finish my Civic. But I'm scared of failing. Any of you guys that went through school and finished, are you guys happy? Did you get to where you wanted to be? Was it worth it? Finally, what do you drive? If you never finished school are you happy? Would you try agian if you had the chance?

Hell, when i was in college, i failed algebra four semesters in a row....
while at the same time i was in honor's english four years in a row.

the point is, stay in college. it is very hard to get a job without a degree, unless you are into the whole "manuel" labor thing.....

math sucks. fuck algebra, fuck intermediate algebra, and fuck "nature of mathematics" to the highest of fuck-stivity.

enroll in english. the only major where you can bullshit you ass off, slack off, and still get a 4.0 gpa. math is THE most boring subject on the face of the planet.

i STILL have nightmares about those bullshit ass math courses they made me take.

every single math teacher i ever had hated my guts.

/rant

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Aug 2 2003, 12:33 AM
the point is, stay in college. it is very hard to get a job without a degree

That seems to be the same line I hear over and over. A GSR dropout, a 93 del Sol, and a 96 civc EX have pretty much taken all my attention away from the books and studying. Alot of times I wish I'd never gotten into Hondas. I spend way too much time and money on them and have no other priorities in my life. I've wasted alot of my parents money, and I seriously doubt I'll finish school. I only have 2 years to go, this fall I would have been a junior in college.

I know its not my place to say this, cause everything I've done for the past 2 years has been contradictory, but these guys are right...its hard to get a decent paying job that you don't absolutely hate without a degree. The cars can wait. You need to focus your attention in the right place and it keep track of the important things that are in front of you, and it'll be alot easier becoming successful in life.

God thank god I own at math.

See, I dont' do shit at all, cept go fast really, and that is very few and far inbetween, so I mean I am pretty set on getting in a good school with scholarships with my 3.7. I suggest if you're still in high school, take as many ap classes as you can, I am starting to, and yeah I just have to get about like a 1000 on my SAT's and I am pretty set.

I have street credit with building firms so if I get out, I would have some good credit getting jobs as an architect/building exec if I stay in my chosen field. Hell if I don't go to college I still get to work a 22.00 job otu of high school and get to take over the family company if I do get a degree.

EDIT: It's really all about who you know in what field you wanna work, and your work ethic's and hard you work.

Cars can wait. Would you rather wait a few years and get a kickass car and have enough money for everything else, or would you rather have a done up car barely getting by in a low paying job. There is more to life than cars.

Well, I just finished college and let me give my advice.

Money regardless can be made no matter what. Just becuase you go to college and get a degree doesn't mean you will be making six figures for sure. Many people start their own businesses and are financially sound with out even a high school education.

I believe that it's the person that determines where their future lies or what is to come out of them. If some person is a lazy ass slacker who really doens't like educationg him/herself and just wants to "flip" burgers then a degree is really worthless to them if they have it or not.

I see it as a necessary tool for future advancement for myself. I don't want to be in a position where I will have a mortgage and am 35 going back to graduate school or let alone being an undergraduate student. I say get it done with, once you get your degree then you have it and you will never have to look back. As far as the kids who say they hate going to class/school/learning well in every field you will have to train, adjust, and prepare for the future of the business otherwise you become out dated and useless.

My opinion about what my degree really got me was that I have a totally different thought process, my instincts are more proactive than reactive, I have 2-30 year goals, more ambition, self esteem, etc...

Cliffnote version would have to be, if you need to go to college for what you want to become then go, if you dream is to do other things then pursue that. My opinion no matter what you do if you do what you love then the money should come and if it doens't then atleast you love what you do.

Hope this helps.

Milan

DID YOU PEOPLE FORGET ECON IN 12TH GRADE. 4 OUT OF 5 SMALL FAMILY BUISENESS FAIL WITHIN 5 YEARS, FACE IT, IT IS LIFE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT, GO TO COLLEGE, GET THE DEGREE, THE CHICK, AND THE CAREER (NOTICE I SAID CAREER, NOT JOB, THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERNCE) AND MAKE SOME GOOD MONEY. RIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL, MY FATHER TOOK A ROOFING JOB, SHITTY AS LABOR. NOW 20+ YEARS LATER HE IS FINALY MAKING 100,000/YEAR+COMISSION STILL WITH A ROOFING COMPANY TOO.
MAN GO TO SCHOOL! YOU CAN MAKE CLOSE TO THIS A YEAR IN ABOUT 2-5 YEARS NOT 20+ YEARS, TRUST ME THESE FOUR YEARS OF COLLEGE CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER.

caps.gif

suck%20at%20internet.jpg

Ever wonder why people can ask for advice from over twenty five thousand strangers? It seems incredible because if we where here in person we wouldn't share our life problems. Do you share your problems with strangers on the street?
I'ts good to have input from other people; a person can be lazy and tries to move around the things he knows he has to do. I know what I have to do and I know I'll have a Hell of a time trying to keep up.

hey join the force they pay for schooling and pay you to go to school. It works good for me i make 16 a year in sal plus all tuition and books are paid. And during the summer i pick up a job tending a bar to make another 6k so really i have 20k after taxes to piss away. It is a good life adn i recomend it to anyone

Originally posted by NoNeed4VTEC@Aug 2 2003, 12:11 AM
Let's say in general, what kind of job would a person get, out of college, with a mechanical engineering degree. Does any one know what kinda stuff you would do in the automotive field?

Anyone got an answer to this? Cuz thats what I plan on gettin my degree in at SDSU.

Back