How to build a log manifold.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some other equivelents to the Hobart Handler 135? Or is it like any 135 amp gas mig? Beautiful write, helps alot!!

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Nov 14 2004, 02:35 PM
Well, most of the welders out there are rebadged Millers, so basically, take a good hard look at cost vs. features, because each one (Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, Sears, ect) are just a little different. My Hobart has four heat settings an infinetly variable wire speed. My friends Lincoln, which is basically the same welder, has both infinetly variable wire speed AND heat, which makes it a more versatile welder. It costs more than mine, though. Also, there are 115V and 230V welders... the 230V welders will weld REALLY thick material, but must be plugged into a 230V outlet and cost about twice as much as 115V welders. On top of that, they're kind of married to that outlet, being that you can only use about a ten foot extension cord with 230V before you start to drop power. With my 115V welder, I've been able to tow the thing all over the shop on a 50' extension cord and never have a problem. Then there's the fact that 115V outlets are much more common than 230V.

For 99% of automotive welding jobs, a 115V welder will be sufficient. I would stay away from Central Machinery, though. They suck. Poor build quality and materials.
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​

thank you!

The millermatic 251 is nice.

C25 is a common shielding gas, and works nicely.

Better mean business before I break out the flux core.

Voltage is directly proportional to arc length. Wire speed is directly proportional to Amperage. It's hard to envision how these things interact unless you've taken some lessons. To picture it in your head......higher voltage would mean that the wire is burning closer to your welding tip faster, to hold that longer "arc length". Without enough wire, that arc is going to be too long. It will burn out, touch, burn out, touch, make a mess. With voltage too low, the wire will literally be pushing back outward against your hands, since it can't burn fast enough. With the right balance, everything goes much smoother. For thicker metal, higher voltage and higher wire speed are used. With thinner metal, conversely, lower voltage and less wire are used. The main reason is control, and heat input. A larger ugly weld is not always better than a good smaller weld.

I hope this helps more than confusing.

sorry JI, [\threadjack]

Wow, that was odd. Why are all the stickies broke?

Edit: Alright, I've spent 20 minutes with the search engine and can't find anything. WTH happened?

ji threw a hissy fit and edited out evey post he made with anything tech related basically.

no point in having a sticky with nothing in it

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 22 2004, 11:21 PM
ji threw a hissy fit and edited out evey post he made with anything tech related basically.

no point in having a sticky with nothing in it
[post=420807]Quoted post[/post]​

How ironic. In that post about brake tech, he felt entitled to steal the work of someone that he considered to be a jerk to post on our board uncredited, but now feels his words should get special consideration of ownership. Eh... who knows how much of his tech posts were really his writing. *shrug*

is that the post that's still quoted by someone slightly further down the line? if so just copy it back into his post...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back