How To Change Obdi To Obdii

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondacivicnos

Yea all I want to know how can I change my OBDI in Civic EX 1995 to OBDII wich will work with B18C1 or B18C5.
I really want to know were can I buy the whole wire swap cuz I dont want to have problems with changing my car wires. (All I need is ful swap from OBDI to OBDII)
And if you know how to do it please tell me and what do I have to do???
Please I need it really bad>>>

i just put a 98 ITR engine in my 93 del sol
it threw no codes and everything works

if you really want to swap out your whole harness you will need to get it direct from honda or from a junkyard
you will need both the engine harness as well as the interior harness
either way will cost you a fuckload of money

have fun

Yea but I am scared about cabin wires cuz I dont think my speedometer will work with acura integra ones and there is a lot more, lights and all that crap so I am just scared cuz I dont want to kill my car. So what did u do to your delsol? what engine did you swap and did it took u a lot of time to get it running.
And I heard that B18C1 can use both OBD1 adn OBD2 but I dont know how is it going to work. Is there difference in the year or what were do you think I could find OBD1 B18C1 engine for my civic?

And if you swaped OBDI B18C1 please tell me what did you do to it what parts did you buy?
Thank you...

all you need to do to get an OBD-2 engine into an OBD-1 car is:

either cut and solder or re-pin the connectors for the following:

-use the OBD-2 injector plugs on your harness
-use the OBD-2 distributor (you have a 2 piece plug so 2 wires are on a seperate plug) match the wire locations for the 7 wires in the larger plug to the top 7 wires on the OBD-2 plug... match the wire colors for the smaller plug to the bottom 2 wires on the OBD-2 plug... or get an OBD-1 B series distributor (not sure if it needs to be from a VTEC engine)
-use the OBD-2 alternator plug... or get an OBD-1 B series alternator
-lenghten the wires for the O2 sensor
-lenghten the wires to the VTEC solenoid
--- there are a few other wires that need to be lengthened i think not 100% sure

now depending on the ECU you use there may be a few other things that need to be added

or just go buy an OBD-2 USDM engine harness for a GSR... it will plug right into your cars harness (at the shock towers) then depending on what ECU you run get a converter for the ECU plugs

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Mar 18 2003, 06:33 PM

or just go buy an OBD-2 USDM engine harness for a GSR... it will plug right into your cars harness (at the shock towers) then depending on what ECU you run get a converter for the ECU plugs

One more question you said it will plug right into my Civic 95?
And do you think it will work fine? I mean is it going to change anything in the cabin wires something like speedometer or lights switches.
Do u mean all I have to buy is GSR harnesses for the engine or for the enigne and cabin...
I know were to buy them, but if you know cheaper place please tell me (I know were it cost 799 for Engine Harness.

And you said something about ECU and converter well I dont know what to do now I will use P72 its from Integra GS-R wich have B18C1. So what do I have to do now should I buy those converters?

Yea and if you could please give me the websites that have all the parts that I need...

Originally posted by hondacivicnos@Mar 18 2003, 06:02 PM
Yea all I want to know how can I change my OBDI in Civic EX 1995 to OBDII wich will work with B18C1 or B18C5.
I really want to know were can I buy the whole wire swap cuz I dont want to have problems with changing my car wires. (All I need is ful swap from OBDI to OBDII)
And if you know how to do it please tell me and what do I have to do???
Please I need it really bad>>>

Why???

Why do you people insist on making your life harder than it could be.

Get a P30 or P28 and have it chipped for DOHC VTEC ITR specs.

Easy as pie, and it's a direct plug and play.

Well if u have easyes way to do that just give me every information that I need to swap entire B18C1 into Civic 95.
Then I will thing about that and remember I dont what to do that:

use the OBD-2 injector plugs on your harness
-use the OBD-2 distributor (you have a 2 piece plug so 2 wires are on a seperate plug) match the wire locations for the 7 wires in the larger plug to the top 7 wires on the OBD-2 plug... match the wire colors for the smaller plug to the bottom 2 wires on the OBD-2 plug... or get an OBD-1 B series distributor (not sure if it needs to be from a VTEC engine)
--- there are a few other wires that need to be lengthened i think not 100% sure

I have P28 for civic SI right now but how do I chip it?
Were how and what is it going to do with B18C1.
And will I have to change any wires?

just get the USDM GSR engine complete with the harness
or get a USDM harness sepratly
use a OBD-1 GSR ECU (this will plug right into your car)
or find a conversion harness for using an OBD-2 harness in an OBD-1 car

converting the harness took me 1 day to do

the wiring shit that you want to do will cost you about $1000 and take a hell of a lot longer
i have no clue where you got that price for the engine harness .... but acura charges less than that
i explained all you would have to do to put that engine in your car

why dont you just bring the car somewhere and pay out the ass to have them do it all for you.... you obviously dont give a fuck about learning anything about your car.... so just go the lazy way and pay someone else to do it for you
:bash:

Originally posted by E_SolSi Posted on Mar 19 2003@ 01:06 AM
i have no clue where you got that price for the engine harness .... but acura charges less than that
You can rewire a whole 99 si for around $500,but a 94 delsol cabin harness alone cost $800+.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Mar 18 2003, 07:06 PM
just get the USDM GSR engine complete with the harness
or get a USDM harness sepratly
use a OBD-1 GSR ECU (this will plug right into your car)
or find a conversion harness for using an OBD-2 harness in an OBD-1 car

Thats probably what I am going to do....
its not easy but i will do it...

So like you said that I will buy USDM GSR harness does any body know how much it will cost me?

Originally posted by hondacivicnos@Mar 18 2003, 06:55 PM
Well if u have easyes way to do that just give me every information that I need to swap entire B18C1 into Civic 95.
Then I will thing about that and remember I dont what to do that:

use the OBD-2 injector plugs on your harness

What are you talking about....??????

Easy way.

Take 98 Type R engine, and install in engine bay.

Plug 98 Type R USDM engine harness into 93 Civic chassis harness

Run 1 wire from Drivers shock tower to 98 Distributor for tachometer. (BLUE wire)

Contact me, and I can chip your P28 with STOCK ITR fuel/timing maps. STOCK REDLINE TOO

Plug said OBD1 ecu into ecu location.

Drive car.

Easy isn't it.

Do NOT change:

Injectors
O2 sensor
Distributor
Alternator

You do NOT need to lenghten anything, it is all plug and play.

Plug 98 Type R USDM engine harness into 93 Civic chassis harness

were can I buy them? and how much do you think they cost

Run 1 wire from Drivers shock tower to 98 Distributor for tachometer. (BLUE wire)

were is it and what is it ?

Well I like your Idea.
So I will connect you probably in the 2 to 6 month.

And can u explain me all over again were can I get that 98 Type R USDM engine harness.
And are you sure that it will fit Civic 95 EX or SI?
So thats probably it thanks

Originally posted by hondacivicnos@Mar 19 2003, 09:13 AM
Well I like your Idea.
So I will connect you probably in the 2 to 6 month.

And can u explain me all over again were can I get that 98 Type R USDM engine harness.
And are you sure that it will fit Civic 95 EX or SI?
So thats probably it thanks

You know what, nevermind what I said.

You are so unwilling to learn anything it's not worth my time to try to explain it to you.

Take your car, your engine, and go to a shop and pay someone to do it.

I am NOT your (brother, sister, bitch, parents), so don't treat me or anyone else here like we OWE you anything.

If you are not willing to listen, then I have nothing else to say.

And I did not treat like you owe me something I dont know were you got that feeling from . :unsure:
If I said something wrong I am sorry. But I said that I will contact you because I thought that you will want money for chiping my P28.
And if you ask anybody on the forum they will tell you that I never treated anyone line they owe me something.

Yea and you said that I am Unwilling to learn, learn what? You did not even explained me anything.

And I am really what to listen to somebody who know what he is talking about and I think you do so I started asking you some question and something went wrong. ;)

I haven't explained anything to you???

It's too late, and I'm too tired. So I'm going to spell it out for you ONE last time, and that's it. If you don't believe me or you don't get it, sorry, I'm done trying.

1- Buying a GSR engine swap

NO MATTER what year engine swap** you buy (94-01) you will HAVE to use a 94-95 OBD1 GSR ecu. You will need to ADD at least 3 wires to the CHASSIS harness for the ECU to work properly. IF you get a 96-01 GSR, you will need to ADD the TACHOMETER wire from the DISTRIBUTOR to the DRIVERS shock tower, and tap it into the CHASSIS harness.

2- Buying a TYPE-R engine swap

NO MATTER what year engine swap** you buy (97-01) you CAN use either a 92-95 OBD1 P28 Civic EX/Si ecu, and have it reprogrammed to ITR specs (THIS WILL NOT have a KNOCK sensor) OR you can use a 94-95 OBD1 P30 delSol VTEC ecu, and have it reprogrammed to ITR specs (THIS DOES have a KNOCK sensor) . You will need to ADD at least 3 wires to the CHASSIS harness for the ECU to work properly. You MUST ADD the TACHOMETER wire from the DISTRIBUTOR to the DRIVERS shock tower, and tap it into the CHASSIS harness.

**Engine swap is defined as a COMPLETE engine, transmission, and USA model ENGINE wiring harness.

Any other way of doing this is just stupid, unnecessary and expensive.
Rewiring the ECU to OBD2 is stupid, unnecessary and expensive.
Trying to change all your engine parts (injectors, distributor, alternator, engine harness) to OBD1 is stupid, unnecessary and expensive.
Not listening to someone who has been there is stupid, unnecessary and expensive.

But you know what? It's YOUR money, and in the infamous words of SHOCK-G "Do whatcha like kid"

Back