1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to clean this

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by webink_EK9, Feb 27, 2004.

1. webink_EK9

webink_EK9 Senior Member

I was just wondering what would be the best way to clean the dark stuff of my motor. Its just on the silver part of my valve cover. Heres a pic. I don't want to polish the texture off the letter, just make it shine...and not remove any of that awesome red.
    Cover

2. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

bump, ive been thinking the same thing. its just corrosion, i guess just sand it down and maybe try to put some protective clear coating on it??? anyone else have any input?

3. Sergey P.A.

Sergey P.A. Senior Member

try send it with 2000 and then clean it, and then polish it, it should work, :huh:

4. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

use a mild metal polish (for aluminum specificly if you can find it) and use it carefully

5. Sergey P.A.

Sergey P.A. Senior Member

by the way is that a Type R, cuz this shit is clean, two thumbs up men,

6. 97CTR

97CTR Senior Member

oh that should be sand with 2000 grit, hell no........bye bye red valve cover

I have the same issue too. Oil residue and shit on mine, I will get a new one with moon cuts for cam gear adjustment, but if anyone has a good way to clean that is cool. If all else fails, simple green and a toothbrush is your friend.

7. kyleirwin

kyleirwin Retired OG

:withstupid:
    as long as it's just on the surface and not too stained, something not so harsh like simple green and some light scrubbing should take care of it :thumbsup: .

8. webink_EK9

webink_EK9 Senior Member

Cool, I'll give the toothbrush a try, but will that shit come out of my brush so I don't get crap on my teeth the next time I use it? :shrug:

Anyway, that is a type-r...a 99 Spec from hmotorsonline.com. Steve told me its was in awesome shape, but I never thought it would look that good. I'm going to finish unpacking it today. I'll have more pics up a little later. Thanks guys!

9. kyleirwin

kyleirwin Retired OG

:lol: .

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted