How to correctly move 02 sensor?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

As I said before, I think if I put the 02 sensors where the downpipe meet the header before it goes into one, I think it would work.

its been done, and it runs like shit. expect a 20-30 hp loss.

the o2 runs in pulse, 1/4 and 2/3 send out exhaust pules at the same time that its o2 sensor 'turns on' and looks for metering.

I still don't think you guys are understanding me. Aftermarket 4-2-1 headers have the pipe seperated all the way till they go into 2, which is two pipes till it meets the cat.

As you see in this picture the pipes are pie cutted and welded together, so there is no way to monitor two cylinders at one time unless the 02 sensors are moved lower..
If you look closely you can see it.
hd_civ88c.jpg

I'm talking about moving the 02 sensors down to this area of the piping. It's the same thing just lower.
o2sensors2kr.jpg

ok so you can do it two ways.
example number 1: you can put another bung into cylinder 2. you dont have to have one in every cylinder. one of mine is ran like that. one in cylinder four, and one in cylinder two.

example number 2: you can close the existing bungs that you have. and weld new bungs in each of pipes. where it turns to two.

thanks B for clearing that up, i thought it was wrong but couldnt rememebr at all what the correct way was.

but thats how you can run it. i have two b16 swapped ef's, one is ran like example number two. runs great.
the other i spliced into one single sensor. it runs rich, idles high, and like b said, lacks power.

edit: fucking bmp pic cant load. wait. never mind on the pic.

Last edited:
I don't think you can..

Just make an account on Photobucket, it's free..

Shot in the dark:
Did you just sell a B16 hatch not too long ago?

I don't think you can..

Just make an account on Photobucket, it's free..

Shot in the dark:
Did you just sell a B16 hatch not too long ago?

nope, bought one though. flat white ef with jdm front. very nice. you on tennspeed?
thinking about selling one, but i dont think many people would be interrested in it.

www.tennspeed.net

my names the same on there as it is here.

and if i were you i would just weld another bung into cylinder number 2. believe me, thats the best/cheapest correct way to do it.

im not sure, why not just put them where they should be
Because you can not monitor 2 cylinders at a time with a 4-2-1 header, because the way the piping is made.. I would like to have it as stock as possible, so I don't see why it would be a problem to have two o2 sensors where shown in the picture i posted. (the orange dots)

that should be ok where you have them in the orange. you could still move it up above the flange but it would look like ass there

you can put them down to where its only two pipes,

but it doesnt have to moniter both. as i said before it can just monitor those two and run perfectly fine. as long as its monitoring 1 or 4, and 2 or 3. it will run stock. you said you wanted cheap too. this would be the cheapest way to run it stock and not loose anything.
but its your header and wallet. put the bungs in the lower part. it shouldnt make too much of a difference.

click {POST REPLY} to go to the advanced menu, and then there's attachment options below the post box.

Anyway, back on topic.... the o2 needs 1/4 and 2/3 to be separate. you can't do it in the collector, else the o2 is going to get reading from all 4.
you can't do it in 1 bank, because it will read as half as much as it expects.

if thats the header you have, its not set up right for obd0 applications.

click {POST REPLY} to go to the advanced menu, and then there's attachment options below the post box.

Anyway, back on topic.... the o2 needs 1/4 and 2/3 to be separate. you can't do it in the collector, else the o2 is going to get reading from all 4.
you can't do it in 1 bank, because it will read as half as much as it expects.

if thats the header you have, its not set up right for obd0 applications.

This is incorrect. The o2 sensor only measures the concentration of o2 in the exhaust gases, NOT the volume of gas moving through it. The o2 concentration would be the same weather it was monitoring 1,2 or even 10 cylinders. Invisibledemon is 100% correct. Weld in the bungs on 1 & 2 and it will work perfectly.

This is incorrect. The o2 sensor only measures the concentration of o2 in the exhaust gases, NOT the volume of gas moving through it. The o2 concentration would be the same weather it was monitoring 1,2 or even 10 cylinders. Invisibledemon is 100% correct. Weld in the bungs on 1 & 2 and it will work perfectly.
dont think so, if what you said is true then he could put it anywhere

dont think so, if what you said is true then he could put it anywhere

No, not anywhere. The exhaust gas temperature cools down as it travels through the exhaust system. It would not work properly if you moved it. It should be placed as closely as possible to the OEM sensor locations.

Last edited:
Back