How To Do You Launch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

you rev it as high as you can WIHOUT spinning the tires and SMOOTHLY release the clutch

Dido, dropping the clutch and spinning tires = not cool and no traction

Grip don't Slip

Milan

:ph34r: make sure u got some nice tires, if u have to warm them up by spinning them for a small amount of time, then when there sticky, u find u perfect rev point, and u drop it, or u could always do a n00b take off and floor it LMAO, and key is shift fast enough outt 1st as well

Rev to 6k
Dump clutch
Never lift off gas
Tap clutch just enough to shift
Go back to strip to pick up transmission bits after run

:lol:

No, as long as you're able to disengage the clutch enough to where it won't stress your synchros anymore than normal. The only way to really know how far you need to stomp the clutch is to practice. Be careful, then speed your shifting up gradually until you're comfortable with a fast shift pace. Don't try to tap and shift just because someone online told you it was fast, and then end up destroying your transmission.

When you shift properly chances are when you race in the future you won't have any problems making that first to second grinding mistake........

Milan

Yeah, right when I first started driving my car I would try and shift from 1st to 2nd as fast as I could and yeah I always missed 2nd, but now I just figured the right speed on disengaging and engaging the clutch while giving correct gas so tires will chirp but not lose all traction.

You guys must all suck at the track, please, getting off the line is like an art. Dude when coming off the line you want a little bit of tire spin, but you don't want to smoke the tires. A little bit of spin is good for optimum grip and go and makes for the best 60' times. If you don't spin at all then you will just lag and get sorry 60' times. It all really depends on how much power you are making. On street tires it is good to find a low RPM to launch at where you will get just a little tire spin off the line. In my 91 Lude I usually launch at about 2,500 to 3,000. In the lower displacement civics it is better to launch around 3,500 to 4,000. I usually get about 2.1 or 2.2 60' times in my prelude on street tires. That's hella better than most I've ever seen on street tires. On slicks you just have to work with tire pressure and dump it close to red line in most cases.

Oh yeah, also sometimes it is good to slip the clutch off the line if you are making all kinds of power, this can help you to get the least amount of tire spin and pull you off the line good, that way it's smooth into your next gear and your not spinning and bouncing off the rev limiter. Peace

i generally roll out of pit lane do the warm up lap and floor it when i see the green flag

this method is probly ineffective for 1/4 mile though

i have used the ebrake before to do lauches, it takes a couple of trys to get it down but it works good.

Back