How to fix rust on rear quater

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kolumbo69

is it hard to fix rust on a crx si in the rear quarters give me some ideas cause i trade some rims for a guys crx 90si but he said it has some rust on it

unless your good with body work i wouldnt reccomend doing it becuase you will need a welder, metal, bondo, sand paper, sanding blocks, primer and paint after you get done paying for all of the materials you couldve paid a body shop to do it.

well this is a pic of the rear qauter its like this on both sides i have all the tools and materials think it would be difficult to fix

good the mig is the way to go.
you will need a couple of others tools
1- body hammers and drifts (30 bucks)
2- primmer, bondo (zmax is a good brand), sandpaper, glazing putty (50)
3- a sand bag like the kid you use in your trunk
4- and sheet metal shears, a grinder with a speed cut disk and last a flap wheel ( 75)
5- body panel spacers (16 of ebay)
you can get pre made body panels, from most body supply shops
if you cant find the pannels you will need to fab them.
Once you have the pannels close to the shape cut them to fit, and cut 1 inch from the rust, and weld in.
Weld using spot welds no closer then 1.5 inches apart at move around the patch until it is completly welded.
Next grind it near flush then use the flap wheel to smooth it out the rest of the way.

if your talkin about that little rust spot, just grind it off and bondo it up, that little spot is not worth like $2-300 when you can do it for 35. As long sa you grind off all the rust you'll be OK. You can always use fiberglass too, I did i'll take a picutre later today..but mine was alot bigger.

a dremel is really nice for small spots like that.

all i did was put a towel over the rust, and knock it GENTALLY with a rubber mallet to knock the loose rust out.

then went to work with the dremel buffed all the rust out and went to the bondo, sandpaper, and primer

if you dont have time to do the bondo at the same time you sand rust out, just put duck tape over it. i know it sounds bad, but i had it on a cleaned up spot for 2 weeks and when i took the tape off... still are sheet metal, no rust.

Im afraid you are not correct on the grinding of the panel and then "bondoing" it. is is a sure way to have the rust come back within 6 months the ral way to do it is as hcivic suggested with cutting out the rust and patchng it. even though it is still alomost 100% likelty to come back itll take alot longer this way. I Trust me I run a body shop i know how it goes. also try to keep your general shape with the metal when patching in order to ease process of sanding and shaping ;)

ill give you that driver1 but this is a much more cost effective fix. if i was going to build a showcar then i would absolutely get it patched, but its not really worth it on a $1500 honda. im aware that bondo isnt gonna last forever, because with a grinder you are only able to repair the surface rust, if there is rust on the other side of the panel then yeah it will keep rusting. i already have to redo one spot because it cracked as i said "what does bondo know about their own produck" and put about half an inch on in one sitting. but every other spot has been 7 months now with absolutely no problems.

he has most of the tools so it would be better to do it right and i fogot to add go to you local honda dealer and get a tube of hond bond to seal the inner edge of the seam

Back