How to get F'ed by the system 101

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
I have been working out the details of a possible internship in Austin with IBM for the summer. Things have been going pretty well until 2 days ago. The guy in charge of hiring (or "talent acquistion" as they call it) called and said that their background check came up with an unreported offense. I thought that was particularly odd because the only interaction I have ever had with the popo is 2 speeding tickets in CO and two in NM. Then he tells me that this conviction was for false plates and it comes back.
In Aug of 2001 I was pulled over on the highway between Longmont and Boulder. I worked in Boulder so I commuted on this highway every day. The cop guns me in a 65 doing ~ 70 but waits until the speed limit drops to 55 to pull me over. I made the mistake of mouthing off to him so he decided to be a dick and gives me a ticket for 15 over. I was really pissed about this ticket so I decided to fight it.
In Oct 2001 my court date comes around and I spend several hours listening to a judge that is quite obviously having an exceptionally bad day tell us how she wasn't going to be easy on anyone (in a very roundabout way). After another 90 minutes cooling my heels I am called by a DA's assistant (read intern) to discuss my case. He is very helpful in explaining to me that the County of Boudler is going to fuck me but they are being kind enough to let me choose between my face in a pillow or a ball gag. They give me two options: 1. (Face in pillow) Get a laywer, set a trial date and come back costing me a whole bunch of money and at least one more missed day at work, or 2: (Ball gag) A plea deal where I take a non moving offense and whatever they decide to give me in exchange for no points. At this point pleading guilty to the ticket is not an issue it would ahve cost me more money plus I would have taken the entire 4 points rather than the 2 for just paying it. I take the plea. This is mistake number 2, number 1 was fighting it in the first place. They hit me with court costs (~$100) fines for false plates (~$200), 24 hours of community service, 12 months of probation, and charge me $70 to do the community service.
Now IBM is telling me that they are reconsidering my employment offer because I did not disclose this. The intern in Boulder told me that this would look just like any other speeding ticket on my record and just mention that I plea to a lesser charge. That was a complete lie. In CO if you just pay the ticket it is dropped from your record and you just keep the points toward your liscense. IBM didn't know anything abuot the other ticket in Boulder or the two here in NM.

All I can do is wait for IBM to call back. This truly sucks.

(No Cliffs, if you don't want to read it, don't)

Damn man, that's ub3r fucking gay. But what's weird is all the tickets I got when I was younger that I never paid or went to court ofr, got wiped out because of an A at the end of my last name instead of a D.

Sorry to hear that you may not be coming over to Austin, it's a great place to live. I'd say talk to the people at IBM again, and make sure they understand it is a bullshit deal.

That really blows dude. I thought you only had to report if you've ever been convicted of a felony. Moving violations shouldn't even come up as everybody's got one.

goddamn, that sucks :( hopefully they will understand the situation.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 14 2004, 10:23 AM
Damn man, that's ub3r fucking gay. But what's weird is all the tickets I got when I was younger that I never paid or went to court ofr, got wiped out because of an A at the end of my last name instead of a D.

Sorry to hear that you may not be coming over to Austin, it's a great place to live. I'd say talk to the people at IBM again, and make sure they understand it is a bullshit deal.

I have been in touch with the hiring guy every day since he called me and I have explained to him several times what this is all about, he seemed unmoved. He told me I should know by today or tomorrow.

That really blows dude. I thought you only had to report if you've ever been convicted of a felony. Moving violations shouldn't even come up as everybody's got one.

I was under that impression as well. That is why I didn't report any of my tickets.

Anyways, the moral is never ever fight a ticket unless you are going to lose your liscense if you do not.

yeah dude, I hope everything works out- It sucks that the guy doing the hiring doesn't even want to hear your explanation and even more than that, it REALLY sucks that cops have to get so fuggin ghey

Originally posted by La_Pieuvre@Apr 14 2004, 10:24 AM

Yeah, I was under the impression that legally they were only required to know about felonies... They seem to be really freaking out over a driving ticket.

Over a traffic ticket?? Are you going to be driving truck for them? Doing deliveries for them?

I dont get why they would care if your not going to be doing any deliveries.... :hmm:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Any unreported violation matters to a company where you'll be working with proprietary information- it's all about honesty and trust. If your boss doesn't think they can trust you with company secrets, they won't be comfortable working with you.

I don't work for Halliburton anymore, but I still won't share their company secrets with anyone else. It's not ethical... no matter how much I don't like the company.

If IBM feels that not disclosing something like this could mean something about your trustworthiness.... well, you know...

Man I hate Colorado police, they are notorious for screwing people over, a similar situation has happened to a buddy of mine who goes to school in Boulder. Colorado has a real phucked up way of dealing with people who protest speeding tickets. On my road trip to Kansas we got pulled over going 65 in a 55, on an 8 lane freeway, it was a bunch of bull shit and a speed trap if I have ever seen one. Luckily I was not driving so I did not get the ticket, but my pops did.

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 14 2004, 12:00 PM
I don't work for Halliburton anymore, but I still won't share their company secrets with anyone else.

Aww cmon, just a teensy one? :D

I've worked for IBM, trust me it ain't worth it. They think their shit doesn't stink, yet every policy in their company is pretzel logic, and their decisions are based more on mistake than choice.

Also, I have toured IBM Colorado, when I lived there. Nice building, great to get lost in - But everything they do their is in the efforts of nickel-diming you to death. Like sliding your work card to get in the bathroom. That is tied into the payroll system, and they are sure to take it from your pay. And they have invested a lot of time in making the break policy in minutes, and the work policy in 1/10ths of an hour. IBM, more so than the state of Colorado - is out to get you.

-> Steve

In Reston VA IBM runs a commune. When you move there, you have to live in Dorms or "on campus" and they deduct your rent from your pay. They do this to ensure you can't take days off without approval, and they will stop you at the front gate and refuse your passing. Fuck that.

This is just an internship, not a full time job. Plus the $21.75 an hour they offered me is better than I can get staying here for the summer.

Mike, I don't like the logic that IBM is using here. I never committed this crime, my record even says so. Why does this one matter but the other 3 speeding tickets I have recieved in the last 7 years do not?

I should be hearing from them today, hopefully they still have a position for me.

man colorado cops are the freaking worst! i got pulled over for not stopping at a stop sign, although there were 2 cars in front of me that must have stopped, and when it was my turn at the sign, i had to wait for a van to turn left from the other direction before i turned right. i was going to fight it too, but they hit me with all the court fee bullshit too, and we didn't have the money to pay all that shit. so i had to settle for the plea bargain (2 points off my license and 65 dollar fee). now i got a 4 point speeding ticket for 54 in a 35 : fucking bullshit.

Originally posted by DarkHand+Apr 14 2004, 02:11 PM-->
Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 14 2004, 12:00 PM
I don't work for Halliburton anymore, but I still won't share their company secrets with anyone else.

Aww cmon, just a teensy one? :D

Nah, can't do it. :p

Originally posted by Celerity@Apr 14 2004, 05:02 PM
I've worked for IBM, trust me it ain't worth it. They think their shit doesn't stink, yet every policy in their company is pretzel logic, and their decisions are based more on mistake than choice.

Damn, the Austin campus isn't anything like your examples... maybe the engineering section just has it good. My housemate pretty much comes and goes as he pleases, all the vending machines are free, you only use your ID card to get into secure rooms and into the buildings, and as long as you get your work done- you can do pretty much what you want. You must have been working in an hourly pay facility- like a plant doing assembly line work or something. Most manufacturing facilities keep pretty tight tabs on time worked like that- well, every single one that I've been in anyway.

lsvtec
@Apr 15 2004, 11:01 AM
This is just an internship, not a full time job. Plus the $21.75 an hour they offered me is better than I can get staying here for the summer.

Mike, I don't like the logic that IBM is using here. I never committed this crime, my record even says so. Why does this one matter but the other 3 speeding tickets I have recieved in the last 7 years do not?

I should be hearing from them today, hopefully they still have a position for me.

That's a damn good hourly rate for an internship! Most of the pay rates I was seeing for internships when I was in undergrad were more like $17-20... but IBM pays more than most, so that sounds about right.

I don't like the logic they're using either, but their HR department has to make sure everything's kosher- and the guy on the other side of the phone line can't show any preference to anyone, no matter what the circumstance. He may just be sympathizing with you, but he can't say anything about it. Hopefully it will end up as no big deal.

Did you get an answer yet?

Still no answer. The longer this takes the more worried I get. This feels like they are looking at other canidates and if one of them accepts then I get the shaft.

This is what happens when you let business people and politicians run the world.
/rant

Originally posted by lsvtec@Apr 16 2004, 10:44 AM
Still no answer. The longer this takes the more worried I get. This feels like they are looking at other canidates and if one of them accepts then I get the shaft.

This is what happens when you let business people and politicians run the world.
/rant

:(

Call them back again.

Back