How to get more suspension travel on your CRX

?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
Ok... there's information on this out on the internet already, but I've never seen anyone compare the two shocks side by side. I took these pictures back in November, and am now only getting around to putting them up- so enjoy.

The total size of the pictures and page is 588kB, so you modem guys should be ok.

https://hondaswap.com/~mike/crx/accord_shocks/

By the way, it's about using 89 Accord shocks on the front end of your 88-91 CRX to regain about an inch and a half of suspension travel. Bottoming out the front end of your CRX on the shock body really sucks.

Let me know what you think. I'll get this published to an article on the front page a little later.

I have 89 accord Tokico HP shocks on the front of my car, and they drop the car an extra inch or so, but I think the suspension travel is the same, because you are still on the same springs, and the shock body was the same length between my stockers and these. If you use stock springs on those shocks, you might regain that inch of height, but then you lose the stiffer handling springs.... If that makes sense.

I'm actually dumping the accord shocks, and getting some Illumina's that are made for my car. I blew out the HP's in less than 400 miles of driving/abuse. Bah. I wish they made Illumina's for the 89 accord. :(

Another thing you can do to gain suspension travel is, cut the domed (where the bushings are) part of the top hat off, then weld about an inch of same diameter pipe to the part the bolts to your chassis, then weld the mount part for the shock (where the bushings are) that you cut off to the top of that. So you are basically making one of these...

fc181d5a.jpg

Originally posted by SiR Kid+May 28 2004, 12:11 AM-->
I have 89 accord Tokico HP shocks on the front of my car, and they drop the car an extra inch or so, but I think the suspension travel is the same, because you are still on the same springs, and the shock body was the same length between my stockers and these. If you use stock springs on those shocks, you might regain that inch of height, but then you lose the stiffer handling springs.... If that makes sense.

Yes, if you use the same springs as before, you lose ride height and don't gain suspension travel. I guess I wasn't clear enough in the writeup... if you use adjustable height springs and set your front end at the same height as before, you gain that inch of travel- otherwise you're just lowering your CRX a bit more.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@May 28 2004, 12:35 AM
calesta, font color is a little dark for me.

Yellow on black is too dark?!

92b16vx
@May 28 2004, 04:22 AM
Another thing you can do to gain suspension travel is, cut the domed (where the bushings are) part of the top hat off, then weld about an inch of same diameter pipe to the part the bolts to your chassis, then weld the mount part for the shock (where the bushings are) that you cut off to the top of that. So you are basically making one of these...

You can't link on Imagestation anymore- throw it in the gallery. That method would work fine also- but if you could end up with clearance issues against the bottom of the hood. I think running shorter shocks is also safer than cutting and welding your top mounts too.

how much are those top hats and where can i get them from? would it be practical to have the tops hats on the rear at all?

Ground control has them on their site. There's a couple places that will do the extension of the hat, and welds are pretty much as strong, sometimes stronger, than the metal that's welded. There's a few guys on H-T that have been running this mod in autoX for years.

i always see these on the front shocks but can you put them on the rear shocks as well? will it be as beneficial? or is it not worth it to do the rear too, and just do the front only?

Pretty sure they can do the rears too, there's no reason the suspension travel in the rear should suffer.

yea i figured it wouldnt hurt, but im just wondering why i never see anyone do it to the rears...

well i talked to ground control yesterday and they told me that you get about 80% of the benefit from doing the front alone. so i just went ahead and bought all four. also apparently they are 100/pair, but on their site it says 75/pair. i brought it up to confirm the price and he was like "no we have since changed the price", cause they added a bunch of stuff. being the nice guys they are, he sold it to me for the old price :) . great service.

Not bad! Now just make sure to size your bump stops properly so you don't slam the chassis on the ground all the time.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Jun 3 2004, 04:22 AM
.... ground control ... :) . great service.

Yea, they are good people.

Originally posted by K2e2vin+Jun 3 2004, 12:32 AM-->
Originally posted by Calesta@May 28 2004, 11:28 AM
K2e2vin
@May 28 2004, 12:35 AM
calesta, font color is a little dark for me.

Yellow on black is too dark?!

its like a dark yellow...might be because im using mozilla i guess.

Interesting- I'm just using straight ffff00 for the color code. It should show up as light yellow. Time to start previewing all my pages in Mozilla too!

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jun 3 2004, 01:02 AM
the othee option is to lower the shock downward 1.5 inches

If you move the whole shock down, how would it help? Your car would still sit at the same ride height unless you moved the spring perch location.

Back