How to get rid of this adware?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
This is pissing me off, had this problem on my desktop computer, and crashed it. Now its on my work laptop. Basically the company doesn't want to pay for anti-adware and there was none on there. The problem now is, I cannot get into windows (xp) before booting into it all the way it comes up with a blue screen of death and says, "the session mamager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of xxxxxx....." My question is, how do I get into windows so I can at least access my work files, and then how can I load some anti-adware. I am used to the old windows/dos days where windows 2k & xp didn't have to load to get into the command prompt.

if you have backups, I'd just reformat. Quit using IE also, I used to ALWAYS get that crap until I discovered Firefox, the AOL software isn't too bad either but not really comparable to FF.

I have to send it down to the it department out of state. They will probably just lose all my datasheets thats all. Trying to figure out how to get into it, won't even boot into safe mode or command prompt. FF is my freind.

at the office, always save important shit to a server.

servers are on raid controllers, not on the net neally, and fail half as often as a desktop will.

have your job fix it....not your problem :)

also AD-Aware by lavasoft is free.....download it

option 1)
get OS disk boot and run a repair.

option2)
take drive out of computer set drive jumper to slave, install drive in another computer as a second drive, the other computer needs to have equivalent OS installed, boot computer copy all the file you need

all this will work unless you used the encrypt contents to secure data. if you did that and you haven't backed up your public key , consider all data lost.

and from the sound of your problem I doubt it was adware/spyware sounds more like virus activity.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Apr 28 2005, 12:04 PM
Do you have a cd burner?

If so,

Go download a copy of knoppix linux. http://www.knoppix.org/ It can boot and run right from the disk, allowing you to retrieve and burn all of your important files.
[post=492536]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats a good idea, never thought of that.....if I send it to my it department I will lose my stuff, ie they will format and start over. I can't use a regular boot disk because DOS won't recognize the NTFS partition. Its a laptop so I can't take the hd out and put it in my desktop.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Apr 28 2005, 06:04 PM
Do you have a cd burner?

If so,

Go download a copy of knoppix linux. http://www.knoppix.org/ It can boot and run right from the disk, allowing you to retrieve and burn all of your important files.

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by cheese9988+Apr 28 2005, 02:06 PM-->
Citizen_Insane
@Apr 28 2005, 12:04 PM
Do you have a cd burner?

If so,

Thats a good idea, never thought of that.....if I send it to my it department I will lose my stuff, ie they will format and start over. I can't use a regular boot disk because DOS won't recognize the NTFS partition. Its a laptop so I can't take the hd out and put it in my desktop.
[post=492568]Quoted post[/post]​

Use NTFSDos it'll read an NTFS partition, and yes you can take a disk out of a laptop and put it into a desktop. they make a conversion connector for such purposes.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM+Apr 28 2005, 02:36 PM-->
Originally posted by cheese9988@Apr 28 2005, 02:06 PM
Citizen_Insane
@Apr 28 2005, 12:04 PM
Do you have a cd burner?

If so,

Go download a copy of knoppix linux.  http://www.knoppix.org/  It can boot and run right from the disk, allowing you to retrieve and burn all of your important files.

[post=492568]Quoted post[/post]​

Use NTFSDos it'll read an NTFS partition, and yes you can take a disk out of a laptop and put it into a desktop. they make a conversion connector for such purposes.
[post=492619]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't have the ide connector to do it though. :)

Couldn't you pick one up in a computer store for a few bucks?

get microsoft antispyware, i had some adware crap on my laptop and the anitspyware program picked it up and got rid of it. laptop works fine now.

Get Lavasoft, Spy Doctor, and Spybot. Install and update. Run scans. Add/Remove program and remove any that seems "unfamiliar." If that doesnt solve it, get HiJack This. Scan and save a log file. Then post on forum and moderators well tell you which ones to delete.

If its not booting, turn it on and go to BIOs. Set it so CD-ROM boots first. Pop in a Windows XP disk. Go to recover console and type it "fixboot" and "chkdsk."

Out of ideas now.

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Apr 30 2005, 09:51 PM
Get Lavasoft, Spy Doctor, and Spybot. Install and update. Run scans. Add/Remove program and remove any that seems "unfamiliar." If that doesnt solve it, get HiJack This. Scan and save a log file. Then post on forum and moderators well tell you which ones to delete.

If its not booting, turn it on and go to BIOs. Set it so CD-ROM boots first. Pop in a Windows XP disk. Go to recover console and type it "fixboot" and "chkdsk."

Out of ideas now.
[post=493412]Quoted post[/post]​

You forgot "Smash with Hammer" if nothing else, it makes you feel better :)

This is the best way to remove adware.

get the program called Hijackthis

start> run type "msconfig" click ok put the radio button on diagnostic start up then click ok. your computer will want to reboot click rebbot now.

run hijack this and remove the program that is giving you an issue probably known as a BHO... click that one and click fix.. then reboot and you should be free and clear.

i think if you hit the f8 key during start up you can choose diagnostic start up (or something like it known as Safemode in previos windows versions) if you can't get to windows

Back