1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to get the most out of your bandwidth

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by K2e2vin, Jun 22, 2004.

1. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

i did some bandwidth test and it says i have around 2100kbs, but i never see anything close to that. the highest i can upload is 50kbs tops and 350kbs download. is windows xp capping it or somthing?

2. H22AdelSol

H22AdelSol Senior Member

just because your getting that speed from their computers doesnt mean youll exactly get that speed from other servers.

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

4. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

umm im not looking for exactly that much upload/download speed, but i do want somewhere around there. i have seen two simultaneous(spl?) downloads go at 300kbs (600kbs put together) but max of 50kbs upload. i tested at two different places; cnet and two other places around the net.
    i divided the bandwidth test result by 8 and got like around 300kbs. this couldnt be right can it? since im able to download faster then that.

5. DarkHand

DarkHand Senior Member VIP

First you have to tell us what kind of connection you have. Second, 50Kbps upload speed is well above average. Comcast cable for example gives you 3000Kbps downstream, 256Kbps upstream. That comes to about 375K/sec download, 32K/sec upload. They allow burstable speeds above their downstream limit, but the upstream is a hard limit... I've never sent more than 32K/sec. 50K/sec upload is excellent.

6. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

i have road runner cable. ive just cleaned my harddrive and reinstalled windows; when i has downloading stuff(mozilla, spybot, etc...) it was downloading at a steady rate of 700-800KB/s, and spiking to 2MB/s....

[​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted