how to get the most out of your bandwidth

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

i did some bandwidth test and it says i have around 2100kbs, but i never see anything close to that. the highest i can upload is 50kbs tops and 350kbs download. is windows xp capping it or somthing?

just because your getting that speed from their computers doesnt mean youll exactly get that speed from other servers.

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@Jun 22 2004, 03:45 AM
just because your getting that speed from their computers doesnt mean youll exactly get that speed from other servers.

umm im not looking for exactly that much upload/download speed, but i do want somewhere around there. i have seen two simultaneous(spl?) downloads go at 300kbs (600kbs put together) but max of 50kbs upload. i tested at two different places; cnet and two other places around the net.
i divided the bandwidth test result by 8 and got like around 300kbs. this couldnt be right can it? since im able to download faster then that.

First you have to tell us what kind of connection you have. Second, 50Kbps upload speed is well above average. Comcast cable for example gives you 3000Kbps downstream, 256Kbps upstream. That comes to about 375K/sec download, 32K/sec upload. They allow burstable speeds above their downstream limit, but the upstream is a hard limit... I've never sent more than 32K/sec. 50K/sec upload is excellent.

i have road runner cable. ive just cleaned my harddrive and reinstalled windows; when i has downloading stuff(mozilla, spybot, etc...) it was downloading at a steady rate of 700-800KB/s, and spiking to 2MB/s....

2mbspeed.jpg

Back