how to hit 160hp for cheap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

82CivDswap

Ok, this kind of thing has probably asked, but I'm going to ask again cause I still cant come to a conclusion and a course of action...

Ive got an 82 Civic that im planing a D-series swap into. the car was given to me with a running D15B7. My 1st problem is that Id like to compete in the GRMS Challenge, which money is limited... Id like to make 160hp+ in the car... It weighs next to nothing so 160 ought to send me into the low 13's and should be enough power for the twisting. I know, Cheap Reliable, and Fast, pick two, but im trying to find a good medium for all three :D

my question being, how can I get to the goal for cheap and keep it somewhat reliable? Should I consider boosting? Ive heard that the D15 has weak rods and that it wouldnt be a good idea to use for boost and that NA tunning would $$$ to much. the second option is to look around for another D16 Vtec motor with a stronger bottom end, or luck up on a ZC motor for like $150(lol) intrestingly enought, ive got a Volvo 760Turbo with a newer Turbo and Intercooler that I may "barrow" so I could do that but even with that, would the rest of the swap be kind to my budget?

SO, should I go
D15B7+MiniMe?
D15B7+Turbo?
D15B7+MiniMe+Turbo
Somthing Else+Turbo?

leme know what you thinks

turbo, change out the manifold for a 00 style vtec intake manifold costs like 50 bucks. si tranny for like 100 bucks. dx tranny would be long for autox which i think the grm challenge does.

Ya nitrous is cheap and easy too.

The only problem is you have to fill it which may add up over time if you use it lots. If you don't plan on using it too often then it may be the cheaper/easier route than the turbo.

how about swap the bitch out for a b16. theirs you cheapest route.

I wouldn't worry to much about the rods. Get fresh bearings and use arp rod bolts. Bam get a turbo or spray the hell out of it. I have seen some single cams go through some shit. My friend boosted his single cam for along time. Then he swapped it into another car and sprayed the piss out of it.....50 dry shot too. Stock everything. ran for years.

Hell he even says that the motor runs better after he sprayed it.

Never under estimate the singla banger

you cant do 160hp on a budget with A D-series.

I agree with the b7 having weak rods because it happened to me! The block ain't made for it, so I reccommend you go z6 turbo with a crx si trans and turbo! Here's a pic of what will or can happen!
BLOWNMINI-ME.jpg

Last edited:
oohhh never mind. I cant argue with that pic. lol Z6's are cheap and can found anywhere.

good luck. Even though i would see how long that motor lasts you. If it blows then go get a z6.

Back