How to hold the crank pulley

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Becky'sboy

What's the best way to hold the pulley while loosening the nut on a 98 Civic SOHC?

let me rephrase the question.............What would you use to hold the pulley if you are too cheap to buy the "Honda" tool........i.e. what does the average shadetree driveway mechanic do to loosen the crank bolt?

impact. or if it is out of the car put a pry bar between 2 of the flywheel bolts and then wrench it off.

the crank is in the car, there is no flywheel its an automatic. and, the impact gun was not powerful enough. thank you for your respnose. were gonna try and find a bigger gun but until then were still askin.

there is a "ghetto" way to do this IF your good at welding. Basicly you get a bolt that fits into the CP but still offers enough clearance to fit a socket in there then weld a peice of metal as a handle. Postion the tool so that when it spins, the chassis stops it, then hit it with an impact.

There is a post about this on honda-tech. Its the ghetto way to do things, but if your REALLY broke, I guess it's worth a try.

breed: it's an auto tranny...no 5th gear. <_<
:worthy: asmallsol: excellant idea, that is what I was lookin' for. Now where do I find a nut that large?
ktanka: $70 not $20 :blink:

Originally posted by asmallsol@May 31 2004, 09:40 PM
there is a "ghetto" way to do this IF your good at welding. Basicly you get a bolt that fits into the CP but still offers enough clearance to fit a socket in there then weld a peice of metal as a handle. Postion the tool so that when it spins, the chassis stops it, then hit it with an impact.

There is a post about this on honda-tech. Its the ghetto way to do things, but if your REALLY broke, I guess it's worth a try.

generally people that are really broke do not have a welder, and also im sure u meant nut and not bolt. but anyhow this would work all except the part about the impact generally the reason you need one of these is because an impact will not work and does not have enoguh torque to take it off. so what you need this for is to be able to loosen it by hand while holding this "tool" to keep it from spinning.

I usually use a chain wrench and a long breaker bar. I wrap the chain wrench around the pulley and have one person hold it in place and another person breaking the bolts loose.

Originally posted by driver1@Jun 3 2004, 08:17 PM
but anyhow this would work all except the part about the impact generally the reason you need one of these is because an impact will not work and does not have enoguh torque to take it off. so what you need this for is to be able to loosen it by hand while holding this "tool" to keep it from spinning.

Actually even with an impact, some of the torque is lost because the pulley itself is going to move slightly.

So if you could hold it completely still you would be able to apply more torque to the bolt itself through the impact.

when I went to remove mine, the impact itself wouldn't budge it. Once I got my brother to sit in the car, stand on the brakes, and put the car in 5th, the bolt came right off.

or you could just go to your local tire store and have them loosen it up for you with their really powerful air tools. That is what I'd recommend. It'll take them like 5 seconds.

Originally posted by StyleTEG@Jun 4 2004, 12:57 AM
Actually even with an impact, some of the torque is lost because the pulley itself is going to move slightly.

can you say 1000 ft/lbs of torque? go to sears and check them out.

I've never had a problem with my impact gun getting that bolt off. You know you have to pulse it instead of just holding it down till you drain your air tank, right? Think of it like shooting a rifle in bursts vs. blasting a machine gun at full tilt.

all these ways are good in theory but the truth of the matter is is that ALOT of hona crank pulleys just will not come off without the use of a tool to hold the pulley. Moroso sells the tol for like 75 bucks justbuy it and do it the right way

Originally posted by driver1@Jun 6 2004, 12:41 PM
all these ways are good in theory but the truth of the matter is is that ALOT of hona crank pulleys just will not come off without the use of a tool to hold the pulley. Moroso sells the tol for like 75 bucks justbuy it and do it the right way

:werd: Trying to get around doing it the right way will bite you in the ass eventually. I've seen people try these methods and breaking flywheel teeth and damaging other parts of the motor. Get the tool if you want it done right.

Well the "real" shade tree method is to get a length of 1/4 inch plastic rope and drop it down the sparkplug hole on the number 1 cylinder (any one will work actually) but here is the REALLY critical part, be SURE it is coming up on compression (firing) on that cylinder so all the valves are closed. I wouldn't do this without pulling the valve cover myself which is usually the only time I need the crankshaft bolt loose anyway. About 24 inches of rope in the cylinder is usually enough generally. Of course it should go without saying you hold onto one end of the rope,...
Rookie

basicly what it does is you fill the cylinder with rope so that way the assembly can not move. On a briges and straton lawnmower engine thats fine, but I would just not feal comfortable doing it that way. EXTREMLY ghetto.

Just get the tool or make your own.

Back