how to hook scanner up to car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16acivic96

hey guys im new to the honda world. just recently bought a 96 honda civic ex coupe. i did research and found out that there is a b16a from a 89-91 honda with a 94-95 acura gsr ecu... how would i hook up my scanner to this and get codes?

With that set up, you probably aren't going to get anything from an obd2 car/bus with obd1 ecu and obd0 motor.

U can with a $4000 professional scanner through the obd2 port...
An off the shelf scanner won't help you though..
Try to find a obd2a gsr ecu, or a 99-00 si ecu with a obd2b to obd2a jumper harness if you really want to be able to scan it.

i do have a snap-on scanner with every kind of adapter to hook up to any car. but for the obd1 ecu i need to hook up the hon-1 adapter to the 3pin plug but all i see is the cars original obd2 plug. idk if the person before ever put this in? this seems like a headache. im about to just pull a motor and ecu from another car that matches instead of mix matching... would i still need that adapter harness for the ecu if i but in a si motor and ecu from a 99-00 civic?

lol so maybe you can find this on ebay and post the link to me bc all i found was obd2a to obd1 adapters for $20 and the only obd2a to obd2b is for $105

Back