How to identify a tranny?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

demonboy1300

Ok so i bought a dohc ZC CRX off a kid that let it sit forever, so i figured id boost it and have some fun with it. i wanted to know how i can identify the tranny, i want to throw in a stage 1 or 2 clutch. but i dont know what kind of tranny it is? its in an 88 Si
but is there any real way to find out if its an Si tranny or identify what it is? how many possible trannys line up with dohc zc?
appreciate it
D

any 88-91 CRX/Civic L3 transmission (even 4 speed) will bolt to the ZC - you cannot tell by looking at it what the gear ratios are that are inside - do you have an intermediate axle shaft on the driver's side? - the ZC transmission is the only one to use the intermediate shaft - before you buy a clutch, you need to find out what flywheel you have and the number of splines on the transmission input shaft - 88s had 21 splines and 89-91 had 20 splines - 88 and 89 had flywheel for 200mm diameter clutch and 90-91 had flywheel for 212mm diameter clutch

here is how you can tell which transmission it probably is (unless someone put together some sort of hybrid)

Attachments

• transtype.pdf
    17.8 KB · Views: 536
Back