how to install an axle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i bought a remanufactered axle for my 95 honda prelude. i am going to try and install it by myself i would like some instalation tips and tricks. i know the you need to take the hub bolt off then from there i would like some help.

Axle nuts. They can be a bitch. The reason why we tryed the above method was because we broke 3 1/2 ratchets/braker bars trying to get them off with no luck. Buy a GOOD lifetime Warrenty braker bar. take off the wheels, undo the notch in the axle nut, then put the wheels back on, with the center cap removed. Now put your 32mm socket on the nut, put the braker bar so you can stand on it (pushing down to loosen) then put a real long pipe over it. The longer the better. Once you get them loose, then take off the wheels.

For seperating the ball joints, buy or rent from autozone, ball joint/tirerod pushers. These things basicly push the ball joint out without risking mushrooming the ball joint or ripping the boot (if you use a pickel fork, it can rip the boot very easily) How it works is it snaps on the bottom of the ball joint with a screw that you turn and it slowly pushes the ball joint out.

For the Axles, go to autozone and rent a hub puller/axle pusher.
This thing >
s3fd3d14a7ef56.jpg

In the helms it says to just use a plastic hammer and lightly tap it out. Sometimes it is that easy, other times yea right. One two engines that I have pulled it did not work. I pounded the hell out of it for over 2 hours and completely destroyed a brand new dead blow hammer. I used the above tool, and they came out super easy. Another swap that I did, once you removed the bolt, you could push the axle through with your hand. I guess it all depends on the age and region the car came from. Remove the ball joints, tire rods, damper fork, then remove the axle from the tranny, then use the above tool. To remove from the tranny, use a good pry bar. A screw driver just does not work that well.

For the halfshaft, just remove the axle and halfshaft as one peice and seperate them when it is out of the car.

Just allow yourself a few days for the hell of it. Try not to hurt any of the mentioned boots. If you run into a problem, get the right tool^^^^^^

Besides that, give it a shot. I traded out mine on the first attempt in about an hour, with no major hitches or special tools. Also, don't fuck up the threads on the original axle if it is being used as a core. The parts store won't take a messed up axle.

The parts store won't take a messed up axle.

When i did my swap I bought axles, came back with the beat up civic cores, and got the full core charge back. And they said right from the beginning they wouldn't accept a core from a different core....they didn't even look when I brought it back.

Back