1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to install these gauges?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by wickedplastikman, Mar 1, 2004.

1. wickedplastikman

wickedplastikman Senior Member

hi. i just bought these r1 gauges that were on a display for a good price. i dont have any instructions on installing them though. i am putting them in my 99 teg. the gauges are electrical and are for.....oil temp, boost, egt, a/f mixture, oil pressure, and a tach.
    i cant even find a homepage for r1 to get some instructions from them. thanks for your help.

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

:shrug2: never heard of 'em

without directions, its going to be hard to figure out what wire does what.

this was the only thing i could find for r1 gauges:
    http://www.ridejudge.com/RideDetails.asp?RideID=7660

maybe try emailing him?

http://www.impossible-performance.cwc.net/meters.htm is pretty useles....

one of our sponsors, street rays, has r1 racing sports product line....

http://www.streetrays.com/catalog/index.ph...dddbe61a305b378
    but don't list any gauges...

can't hurt. maybe they can get directions or something

HTH

3. wickedplastikman

thanks for the links. i finally got the phone number for r1 from the guy i bought them from. just gave them a call and he said that he was going to fax the instructions to me.

4. StyleTEG

StyleTEG Senior Member

If they are electrical you should have a sensor/thermo for the EGT/Oil Pressure, temp, and Boost.

For the EGT, you are going to have to tap one of your exhaust runners. In most cases, your kit should have come with a bung to weld on so you can screw the thermo into it.

Boost is just tapping a vaccum line. The FPR is a good spot, or the brake booster (though that line is huge).

Oil temp/pressure is a bit of a pain though. For pressure you definetly have to either get a sandwhich adapter to go between the block and oil filter, or get a BSPT -> NPT adapter and tap off the stock sensor. Some people tap their oil pan for a temp, but I feel that getting it from the oil filter or block is a more acurate area.

A/F is simply tapping the ECU ground, and the ECU O2 sensor line. Check out Apexi's website under documentation. Their turbo timer has a A/F function, so they have diagrams of what wires would need to be tapped.

Tach is just the distributor, or you could even tap the gauge cluster wire. I beleive mine was a blue wire with silver spots.

5. wickedplastikman

thanks!! i think this is a doable thing. i hate to pay someone else to do it. i think they said it would be like 300 to install all these, but that's money i can use for more parts.
    thanks again.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted